GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windscreen Replacement

icebun

Ready to race!
I need to replace my windscreen due to a very large chip.

Has anyone had experience of having this replaced (I am booking this in with the local dealer)?

I could live with it as it passed a recent MOT but it will need doing at some point.

Just worried this fit won't be as good as factory.

The dealer did say that they would only 3rd party the install anyway (but at least the right windscreen would be chosen and presumably done inside their workshop as opposed to outside a car park etc).

Any comments appreciated.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I've already had mine replaced twice. First time by a massive USA company called SafeLite. Disaster. Rain sensor & camera installed incorrectly and non-functional. Greasy fingerprints left on the glass in the sensor area. Too much sealant along passenger side area of windshield. Second time, had it done by my local dealership, who (as they all do) use a 3rd party but at least they use them all the time, meaning they're familiar with VWs, and do the work in the dealer's shop. Stellar work this time. I def recommend going that route. Used OEM glass both times. Good luck!

slide13

Ready to race!
Two weeks after getting my new car a tiny rock (sounded like a large grain of sand...not a real rock) hit cracked mine about 8”. My opinion is it was defective to start and was waiting to break but hard to prove that. Since it was almost brand new was able to convince VW to goodwill replace it even though they don’t warranty for such things. Dealer had a 3rd party install new OEM glass and it went just fine, haven’t had an issue with it since.

Seems these aren’t the toughest windshields out there, guessing I’ll have to replace it again someday. When I’m paying for it it’ll be tough to decide going through the dealer ($700-800) or Safelite for $300. At least the Safelite around here has good reviews and my car doesn’t have any of the fancy driver assist stuff to worry about.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Here is what the SafeLite "technician" (I use the term loosely) did to my rain sensor when replacing my windshield. Look at the greasy fingerprints on the glass over the sensor, which (shockingly) didn't work until this was cleaned up and the sensor & camera properly remounted. Not pictured here is the sloppy work he did on the adhesive around the edges of the glass, which was oozing out all over the place...

SafeLite is huge so there are gonna be some bad apples out there, but there are FAR too many horror stories about their work for me to ever consider using them again. This job was actually done at one of their large centers, indoors, where you'd think you might get their best work done.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Two weeks after getting my new car a tiny rock (sounded like a large grain of sand...not a real rock) hit cracked mine about 8”. My opinion is it was defective to start and was waiting to break but hard to prove that. Since it was almost brand new was able to convince VW to goodwill replace it even though they don’t warranty for such things. Dealer had a 3rd party install new OEM glass and it went just fine, haven’t had an issue with it since.

Seems these aren’t the toughest windshields out there, guessing I’ll have to replace it again someday. When I’m paying for it it’ll be tough to decide going through the dealer ($700-800) or Safelite for $300. At least the Safelite around here has good reviews and my car doesn’t have any of the fancy driver assist stuff to worry about.

You're not getting OEM glass for $300.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Here is what the SafeLite "technician" (I use the term loosely) did to my rain sensor when replacing my windshield. Look at the greasy fingerprints on the glass over the sensor, which (shockingly) didn't work until this was cleaned up and the sensor & camera properly remounted. Not pictured here is the sloppy work he did on the adhesive around the edges of the glass, which was oozing out all over the place...

SafeLite is huge so there are gonna be some bad apples out there, but there are FAR too many horror stories about their work for me to ever consider using them again. This job was actually done at one of their large centers, indoors, where you'd think you might get their best work done.

Belgium company. Like any business, there are those who are more skilled and caring. Here's what I did when I needed a windshield for my MKV - after my insurance company set up the claim I asked for the phone number of the location of the shop that was going to come to my house to do the job. I spoke to the manager and told him I was a car enthusiast and not in a hurry, so would he please send his best guy. I wasn't disappointed. Some insurance companies in the US pay for windshields with no deductible. How about there?

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion

Has anyone had experience of having this replaced (I am booking this in with the local dealer)?

I could live with it as it passed a recent MOT but it will need doing at some point.

The dealer did say that they would only 3rd party the install anyway (but at least the right windscreen would be chosen and presumably done inside their workshop as opposed to outside a car park etc).

Are you going through insurance? The dealer will simply call Autoglass or the equivalent and they will fit it as otherwise it would need to go to their body shop.

Personally when I had mine done I was with him all the time to make sure everything was done right and nothing damaged. If at the dealers you will not be able to do that.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

As a former service advisor, I'd let the dealership coordinate the repair with their 3rd-party installer, and not give it another thought. Whoever they're using will do a proper job, since the last thing they want is customers angry at them over work they didn't even do. So long as you've got factory glass and a competent installer, it will be just as good as the original.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I went to a local glass place that I have used a few times. The work was slightly sub-par in he used too much sealant. I went back to discuss, we agreed I would remove A pillar and he would remove excess sealant. I had the experience of removing A pillar previously so it wasn't a big deal. I just wanted him to take responsibility and make it right, which he did.

Patagonian

Passed Driver's Ed
The wife's Cabriolet had to have a new screen recently when someone's headlight unit (yes really)) went into it. Insurance company sent Autoglass and they did a very good job.
Gave him the option of doing it in the garage but he preferred to do it in the open on the drive. Took around 90 mins start to finish.
The screen arrives with a small bracket glued to it and all the sensors (lights/wipers etc) just clip into it.
They ordered the correct screen by using the registration number.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I have used them all the time over 20yrs...They love my double garage especially in winter..

I had one repair a stone chip in the black part at the bottom of the front screen...virtually impossible as cant get the mirror on the other side to see the liquid filling the chip...bloke had 20yrs experience & did no problems...

Just when you pay they ask fro you insurance details & you just pay the excess only...

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Some insurance companies in the US pay for windshields with no deductible. How about there?

It varies by state. Here in Arizona we get full glass coverage with zero deductible. First replacement (above) was done before any 3rd party glass was available, so State Farm covered full cost of OEM glass. By a year later when I needed the second one, I was initially told they would not cover the cost for OEM replacement, but then the glass company checked what State Farm was allowing, and confirmed that they could do OEM glass with no out-of-pocket from me.

Patagonian

Passed Driver's Ed
It varies by state. Here in Arizona we get full glass coverage with zero deductible. First replacement (above) was done before any 3rd party glass was available, so State Farm covered full cost of OEM glass. By a year later when I needed the second one, I was initially told they would not cover the cost for OEM replacement, but then the glass company checked what State Farm was allowing, and confirmed that they could do OEM glass with no out-of-pocket from me.

In the UK we normally have to pay an "Excess" which in our case was the first £75 but glass claims don't impact your no claims bonus.

icebun

Ready to race!
Appreciate all the responses guys.

It's a company car so won't cost me anything to replace as such.

There maybe an option to buy this car from the firm when the car is due for renewal next year, so I guess it makes sense to get this sorted before this happens.

Years back my other half had her windscreen replaced by Autoglass and during winter, there was ice on the inside!

Hopefully things have moved on.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
This may help.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21051

Safelite is going to be hit or miss. I will say that they're method of windshield removal makes it very "dummy-proof".

The 3 methods for removing a windshield are the coldknife, weird sawzall with spatula attachment thing, and the wire method.

A big concern is them scratching the pinch weld that the windshield is glued to.

With Safelite, I know (took a LOT of phone calls) that they use Sika products. So Sika primer and adhesive. That's a company standard.

There are some companies that are EXTREMELY good. There are a couple shops in my area that use the other two methods and they do it very well. But I've also seen what happens when people screw it up.

Either way, you'll want to be there and "supervise".