GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why LSD for DD?

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
The only reason I'm not satisfied with my MKV is basically FWD struggling to put the power down. I really want something with awd - Golf R, A3/S3, TTS but I ended up doing the timing belt, thermostat, and water pump recently so I need to keep this car for another couple years due to that investment. So I'm accepting the fact that I need to replace my clutch rather than get rid of the car before it completely goes. You wouldn't know it's going with regular driving but I don't want to spend the next 1-2 years not actually enjoying my K04. Now I'm trying to decide if I should go with a LSD since I'll be doing the clutch anyway. It's still a significant additional cost but maybe it would satisfy me enough to keep the car for 2-3 years. I've never experienced a LSD so don't really know how it benefits a DD. Long explanation to get to the question - is it worth spending $1-1.5k more to add a LSD for a DD? I'm not interested in going beyond K04 so handling more power in the future isn't a consideration.

What's the additional labor for LSD install if I'm already doing the clutch - 2hrs, 5hrs?

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Worked a deal with a indy shop, Spent ~2K on a clutch, LSD and flywheel.

Its very worthwhile.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Seems like a huge expense for a car you plan to get rid of. I put in an LSD mostly for tracking the car but I have no plans of getting rid of the car. If I thought I might get rid of it in as little as 12 months, no way would I add another 1400 to the bill. I would save that money for next car. Here is a pic of mine being installed.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Parts + labor? At $2k I'd be all over that but I'm expecting at least $1500 for the clutch + labor. An M-Factory LSD is $800, plus whatever additional labor is needed.

Worked a deal with a indy shop, Spent ~2K on a clutch, LSD and flywheel.

Its very worthwhile.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Seems like a huge expense for a car you plan to get rid of. I put in an LSD mostly for tracking the car but I have no plans of getting rid of the car. If I thought I might get rid of it in as little as 12 months, no way would I add another 1400 to the bill. I would save that money for next car. Here is a pic of mine being installed.

Well, that's my dilemma. The car has been paid off for over an year and while I'd really like a new R or TTS, realistically it will probably be 1-2 years out - likely closer to two, especially since I've already done the 80-100k major maintenance of the timing belt (was hoping to avoid that). If the LSD makes much difference in being able to put the power down then I could easily see going 2-3 years before I seriously itch for a new car. If my current car was awd I'd be satisfied, considering it's paid for.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Well, that's my dilemma. The car has been paid off for over an year and while I'd really like a new R or TTS, realistically it will probably be 1-2 years out - likely closer to two, especially since I've already done the 80-100k major maintenance of the timing belt (was hoping to avoid that). If the LSD makes much difference in being able to put the power down then I could easily see going 2-3 years before I seriously itch for a new car. If my current car was awd I'd be satisfied, considering it's paid for.

It does make a big difference but it still isn't AWD. I still get wheel slip under WOT going straight in 1-2 and a touch in early third. Of course the huge diffierence is that you now have traction pulling out of corners like never before. You can now use the throttle to pull you out of corners. Its expensive but I think its pretty cool. Too bad we live so far away from eachother, you could take mine for a drive and see if its worth it to you.

SIIIICK08

Ready to race!
I was on the same boat. This was my 3rd clutch replacement & because of my set-up my mechanic highly recommended LSD before doing internals for more hp. I knew it would be a lot but at least its done & over with. I didn't have any special deals or hook-ups so hear was my break down.

-Clutch replacement $700
-LSD $950
-Steel shifter forks (optional but recommended) $350
-Transmission labor $1400
-Labor for removing & swapping clutch $400
-Misc parts ~$200

$4000 total. Expect it to be in the shop for at least a week depending on your mechanic & needed parts.

Still breaking this thing in for another 200 miles but I will get back to you on the results.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
That pretty much tells me what I need to know. Sounds like it's not worth the investment for me. My biggest frustration is straight line acceleration from a stop or low speed. I don't live in an area with twisties and don't do track stuff. I'm just gonna go with a new clutch and be done.

It does make a big difference but it still isn't AWD. I still get wheel slip under WOT going straight in 1-2 and a touch in early third. Of course the huge diffierence is that you now have traction pulling out of corners like never before. You can now use the throttle to pull you out of corners. Its expensive but I think its pretty cool. Too bad we live so far away from eachother, you could take mine for a drive and see if its worth it to you.

I was on the same boat. This was my 3rd clutch replacement & because of my set-up my mechanic highly recommended LSD before doing internals for more hp. I knew it would be a lot but at least its done & over with. I didn't have any special deals or hook-ups so hear was my break down.

-Clutch replacement $700
-LSD $950
-Steel shifter forks (optional but recommended) $350
-Transmission labor $1400
-Labor for removing & swapping clutch $400
-Misc parts ~$200

$4000 total. Expect it to be in the shop for at least a week depending on your mechanic & needed parts.

Still breaking this thing in for another 200 miles but I will get back to you on the results.

way too much.

SIIIICK08

Ready to race!
way too much.

To me it was worth spending the extra money. Maybe too much for you. And sure for a mechanic it may me. You're a mechanic right? The diff was sent to shop specialized just on transmissions. So i know i got a good install. Not trying to bash BTW! :biggrin:

SIIIICK08

Ready to race!
That pretty much tells me what I need to know. Sounds like it's not worth the investment for me. My biggest frustration is straight line acceleration from a stop or low speed. I don't live in an area with twisties and don't do track stuff. I'm just gonna go with a new clutch and be done.

this is your best bet. i only went for it cuz i plan on making more power

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
$900 LSD
$600 Clutch
$700 Install

~$2200 for the LSD. I also did a ton of other work while it was there and replaced a lot of stuff that really wasn't required so my actual bill was higher

Its worthwhile and if you are no longer running the stock K03 its almost mandatory. Traction from a start and around turns is noticeably different. If you plan to hold onto the car then get one, K04 with its peaky torque was kinda miserable without it. Fell in love with driving it again.

To me it was worth spending the extra money. Maybe too much for you. And sure for a mechanic it may me. You're a mechanic right? The diff was sent to shop specialized just on transmissions. So i know i got a good install. Not trying to bash BTW! :biggrin:

To me it's price gouging, I know what's involved in doing these jobs and I know the legit labor times as well. The worst part is drilling the rivets. Just the trans labor is too much, the rest is gucci.