GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who runs 19 inch wheels here? Thoughts?

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
I think Im getting the wheels first instead now. im looking at my car right now, and the 17s do really seem to small, and the wheels will have more of an impact on looks.
As BY said, it's all relative. Different wheels will have a visual impact but not necessarily a positive one.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Ok so Im going the 18s - what tyre size do I need, 225 or 235 or 240? And can anyone recommend a good tyre from tire rack that isnt stupidly expensive, perhaps comparable to the federal RSR's?

If you're after dry performance, you could try something like the Falken RT-615 or Yokohama AD08.

Byza has the Advan Neova AD07 which look good too.

if youre worried about scrubbing 225s are the way to go. Make sure the load rating is correct.

Yeah, 225's are the way to go IMO. You may get away with 235's at stock height and it you don't push it too hard but could still scrub from what I understand.

As BY said, it's all relative. Different wheels will have a visual impact but not necessarily a positive one.

The upgrade from 17" to 18" is worthwhile and makes a good visual difference IMO.

saad

Go Kart Champion
Cheers guys, will go 225. What load rating do i need

saad

Go Kart Champion
And what profile? Im thinking about 40?

Genome

Hippest Teacher. Ever.
Saad. I am sure that you are a good guy, and smart. But asking all these questions on a forum aren't going to get you very far. The best thing to do is to look all these up and read about them first. The more you know about the different components of the car, the more you will learn about how everything is going to work together under different conditions.

saad

Go Kart Champion
VMR WHeels recommend the Kumho Ecsta SPT's. How are these? They are pretty cheap, but are they low quality?

Genome

Hippest Teacher. Ever.
VMR WHeels recommend the Kumho Ecsta SPT's. How are these? They are pretty cheap, but are they low quality?

Saad. I am sure that you are a good guy, and smart. But asking all these questions on a forum aren't going to get you very far. The best thing to do is to look all these up and read about them first. The more you know about the different components of the car, the more you will learn about how everything is going to work together under different conditions.

saad

Go Kart Champion

Doin that now, cheers mate :)

saad

Go Kart Champion
Hmm the Yokohama Advan 08s dont meet the required load rating, which is a shame as they look like a great tyre.

Might try the kumhos, as they are only $106 per tyre from tire rack, and recommended by VMR. The Bridgestone RE050A's look good too, and they;re used on the Enzo so cant be too bad!

saad

Go Kart Champion
Was just about to get the invoice the some 18s with some Goodyear eagle f1 assymetric, but they are otu of stock in silver till jan! Suspension it is then...

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Hmm the Yokohama Advan 08s dont meet the required load rating, which is a shame as they look like a great tyre.

Might try the kumhos, as they are only $106 per tyre from tire rack, and recommended by VMR. The Bridgestone RE050A's look good too, and they;re used on the Enzo so cant be too bad!

You can get the Kumhos from INJEKTD at Mitchell for about $175 (IIRC) in 225/45/18. We have them on our BBS wheels and I had them on the MINI as well. From a grip and ride point of view they are excellent value for money, and compared to the Birdgestone GIIIs, Goodyear Revspecs and Michelin Precedas I also had on the MINI they would rank 2nd after the Revspecs I reckon. They're just noisy buggers and even though they are so damn cheap, I'm not sure I'll be rushing to get them again.

saad

Go Kart Champion
After reading the EVO tyre review and thoughts of a few ppl here, Ill be going the goodyear eagle f1s. Not till the new year though