GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who knows how to read shock dynos?

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
Those prices are ridiculous, can that even be real? I'll check it out.

GodSquadMandrake

I found the DFV shock dynos:

This one is from Ohlins USA:

This one is from Nasioc, front and rear set to 10 clicks:

Plenty of shock dyno stuff for Ohlins DFV.

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
Plenty of shock dyno stuff for Ohlins DFV.

Beautiful.

Yup. Because they are legit, nothing to hide. They last forever if you take care of them. Even professional teams can use the same damper for years and years with proper development.

I know about the MKV Ohlins dampers, but I know my way around Penskes like my own back yard. I'll likely have a set when I get a new dyno at my house, go stage 3, and get a set of those Forge brakes (among other things).

If you can get Ohlins dampers for that price, do it. It will be the last set you'll ever need.

GodSquadMandrake

Beautiful.

Yup. Because they are legit, nothing to hide. They last forever if you take care of them. Even professional teams can use the same damper for years and years with proper development.

I know about the MKV Ohlins dampers, but I know my way around Penskes like my own back yard. I'll likely have a set when I get a new dyno at my house, go stage 3, and get a set of those Forge brakes (among other things).

If you can get Ohlins dampers for that price, do it. It will be the last set you'll ever need.

They pulled a bait and switch on me, it's about $1,000 more than advertised, much more realistic. If it's too good to be true...

They were doing a group buy for $2,600 and still this guy only wants $2,200 so it isn't unrealistic for a set of used Ohlins with a claimed 2,000 miles only. Well he said 2,000 miles mostly on the track so who knows LOL. What do you think? Legit?

But yeah new or used I'm liking Ohlins.

I found this:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html

And the guy is going on and on about Koni yellows and how they are pretty good if you can't afford Penske's. What do you think about that?

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
They pulled a bait and switch on me, it's about $1,000 more than advertised, much more realistic. If it's too good to be true...

They were doing a group buy for $2,600 and still this guy only wants $2,200 so it isn't unrealistic for a set of used Ohlins with a claimed 2,000 miles only. Well he said 2,000 miles mostly on the track so who knows LOL. What do you think? Legit?

But yeah new or used I'm liking Ohlins.

I found this:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html

And the guy is going on and on about Koni yellows and how they are pretty good if you can't afford Penske's. What do you think about that?

That link is about as spot on as it gets. Very valuable info there. I better keep it at that for now, I could spend a month talking about all that.

Ohlins retain their value because they keep doing what they do very well. I would not be scared of used ones just as long as it didn't mean crashed/broken ones. If you have to go and replace a shaft, it could end up costing you more than buying a brand new set outright (total cost used + service parts).

As far as the Koni comments go, I've been preaching that Koni Sports (yellows) are the real deal for a long time. They really are that good. You just have to have a properly matched set and you're in business.

My best advice to you would be to follow through on the Ohlins.

GodSquadMandrake

Your saying you'd take a set of Koni yellows with GC coilovers over something like Ksport/JIC-Magic?

I'll try to get on those Ohlins. I'm asking about spring rates right now. He's saying 11 kg/mm which is about 636 lbs/in I guess. It sounds pretty low for my application, I was hoping for 700-800 lbs/in.

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
Your saying you'd take a set of Koni yellows with GC coilovers over something like Ksport/JIC-Magic?

Yes.

I'll try to get on those Ohlins. I'm asking about spring rates right now. He's saying 11 kg/mm which is about 636 lbs/in I guess. It sounds pretty low for my application, I was hoping for 700-800 lbs/in.

On a big turbo F/R, the last thing you want is too much spring ESPECIALLY on a mechanical grip circuit like Tsukuba. Tires will last longer too.

I wish this were in my back yard!

BlackVR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Simmsled, will you be my friend? :p

Suspension is my favorite car related topic and I absolutely love learning about it. I will definitely be reading over your posts in more detail when I get home from work but I just wanted to say thanks for the awesome information!

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
Simmsled, will you be my friend? :p

Suspension is my favorite car related topic and I absolutely love learning about it. I will definitely be reading over your posts in more detail when I get home from work but I just wanted to say thanks for the awesome information!

:thumbsup: Welcome! I'm just here to help. Glad to be of service.

GodSquadMandrake

Too much spring ehh? Most people are advising like 14 front, 12 rear. Or 12 front, 10 rear. But the Ohlins kit is 11/11. Kind of different, but this is a road and track kit and it'll never see the road just the track. So I was thinking maybe it was ok to step up to a 16/14 or something.

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
Too much spring ehh? Most people are advising like 14 front, 12 rear. Or 12 front, 10 rear. But the Ohlins kit is 11/11. Kind of different, but this is a road and track kit and it'll never see the road just the track. So I was thinking maybe it was ok to step up to a 16/14 or something.

Any idea what dampers were they using with the setup?

GodSquadMandrake

Any idea what dampers were they using with the setup?

People are going absolutely bonkers over the Pettit Trak Pro kit, which is a rebranded Iasati kit who's brand is called Tomei N1. Here's a pic:

It's just like JIC-Magic, made in Taiwan, adjustable mono-tube 42mm. 15F/12R kg spring rates.
Tein Monoflex is similar, along with all the asian coilovers. They're all rpetty much knock-offs of the D2 design. The owner was a Taiwanese racer in England and his company brought the technology back to Taiwan, since then they've all been coopying the design with minor modifications. That's why all of them look the same and have similar features.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
I've found our Mk5 GTI's don't need super high spring rates to handle well. I've run rates all over the place between 300-550's. For a tire like the Dunlop Direzza, rates of 350f/250r actually run great. The important thing is to get front end from leaning all over the place, for that the APR/Hotchkis 27mm front bar works wonders. Even if my GTI was a pure track car I doubt I'd run springs a lot higher. With the car stripped even softer springs might work fine.

I'm using Eibach's Multi-Pro R1 coilovers, they're inverted mono-tubes, they claim they hand build them in CA. The R1's have a single adjuster that does both rebound and compression. Currently trying to get a shock dyno chart out of them out of curiosity. The R2's have separate reservoirs and separate rebound/compression settings. Looking back I kinda wish I had spent the extra for the R2's. So far the R1's have performed great though. I adjust them soft for street and hard for track, the settings seem consistent and I haven't noted gross imbalances or weirdness at the track. What's a little odd is the the fronts have 6 clicks and the rears have 10 or so, so rears can be fine tuned more than fronts. I'd rather have the granularity up front.

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
People are going absolutely bonkers over the Pettit Trak Pro kit, which is a rebranded Iasati kit who's brand is called Tomei N1.

It's just like JIC-Magic, made in Taiwan, adjustable mono-tube 42mm. 15F/12R kg spring rates.
Tein Monoflex is similar, along with all the asian coilovers. They're all rpetty much knock-offs of the D2 design. The owner was a Taiwanese racer in England and his company brought the technology back to Taiwan, since then they've all been coopying the design with minor modifications. That's why all of them look the same and have similar features.

These are not even in the same league as the Ohlins.
Until you've experienced it, you won't understand.

Guarantee the Koni Sport would smoke those Petit whatchamathingeys.

They're even trying to jock the gold color off of Ohlins. :thumbdown:

To your 'run of the mill' amateur, any damper that will have enough dampening to control a high spring rate will do. High spring rates can mask damper inadequacy.

You have 2 choices:
1. Buy knockoff dampers... the story ends, you wake up in your bed each morning and believe whatever you want to believe.
2. Get some Ohlins, you stay in Wonderland, and I'll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

I don't know how to put it any simpler; if the person selling you anything says 'don't be fooled by low prices' its shady. Consider the fact that Koni Sports for MKVs (for example) cost around $475 new, and they NEVER have to talk about their 'low prices' or 'don't be fooled by our competitors' or even 'we cut out the middleman'. If the Petit things were able to compete with the Ohlins, they would cost more because they would deliver more.

Motorsports is a game of money and talent. You have to use both to be the best.