GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where can I buy adjustable rear perches?

KenTX

No, Money Down!
Hi All -
I tried browsing the forums and vendors, but couldn't find a set of adjustable rear perches. I'm not locked into a specific brand (Koni, FK, H&R, etc.) but based on pictures, I prefer the brands that bolt into the lower control arm.

I plan to buy the Koni FSD + Eibach Pro kit for improved ride quality and the mild drop. My hitch and bike rack are permanently mounted, which adds about 100 lbs to the rear. Due to the extra tail weight, I suspect I'm going to need a little extra help in the rear to maintain a neutral or slightly positive rake. I need to find a set of adjustable rear perches for my install.

Current pic for clicks...my early '07 with the US 4x4 suspension, Curt hitch, and Thule rack.

Thanks for input!

Last edited:

JPmkV

Ready to race!
Why not just save up for a set of coilovers?
They will be fully adjustable, and you won't have to bother sourcing rear perches.

KenTX

No, Money Down!
I have severe back pain issues and need the softest ride I can possibly get, so that's the top priority. Buying perches as replacement parts plus the FSD/Eibach kit will probably cost as much as a coilover kit, which I'm ok with. It's an odd setup, I know...

JPmkV

Ready to race!
Ahh, I gotcha man. Hopefully some one can step in and give you some better input.

One last thing though. There are coilover setups out there that have adjustable dampener settings, by which you can soften up the suspension. If I were you I would look into it.

Good luck man :thumbsup:

KenTX

No, Money Down!
Yeah...I strongly considered Koni coilovers because it would be an easy solution to the rear height adjustment issue, but even on full soft, they're more harsh at slow speeds than the FSD/Eibach combo. Spring bind and sag seem to be common issues with Koni coilovers, which is something I cant deal with.

I was also tempted by comfortable coilovers by HPA and others, but didnt want to risk trying a lesser known setup. I need a soft "set it and forget it" solution due to my disability.

Luckily, I found a pair of FK replacement perches for $130 at ESE Tuning, which seems fair...but I dont know if they will fit the inner diameter of the Eibach springs. I plan to check with Koni about replacement parts, and should probably put a WTB in the classifieds.

Still open to perch suggestions... Thanks for the feedback so far - I'm a slow mover, but will let everyone know if I can make this setup work.

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
HPA Coilovers = KW V1s
ST Coilovers = KW V1s

Both extremely comfortable and good.

If you want, then get the KONI Yellow/Eibach Sportline. A little lower, probably exactly where you want, but then still extremely comfortable.

On top of that, a Perch isn't going to make you go any lower. The Spring on Eibach Pro Kits are just way too tall. The Perch accomodates for a "Shorter" Spring, not a Longer Spring.

:thumbsup:

tomshouse516

tomtomtomotomtomtomtomtom
Car(s)
09 GT1
I think his intentions for the rear perch is to raise the rear to compensate for the extra weight of the hitch/rack combo.

Most lowering springs give a bit of reverse rake and that would be exaggerated with the extra weight on the rear.

I believe it should work well even if you only run the perch with no collars or just one collar if necessary

KenTX

No, Money Down!
Absolutely correct tom, and probably clearer than my original message. I like your idea to run the perch without collars...it might be the perfect offset.

I'm going to take the plunge and order the FSD/Eibach kit. Hopefully the FK perches will fit the springs.

tomshouse516

Car(s)
09 GT1
They should fit the springs without a problem.

I dont know the exact measurment off the top of my head but I think the perch is 2.5" and the spring opening is only very slightly bigger on a regular rear spring. Not to big that it wouldn't work maybe a few MM that is all.

I literally have a set of springs and a set of collars on a shelf in my garage but I am in the Bahamas so I can't check. Hopefully someone else can back me up with physical measurments but I don't think it is nessasary.

Good luck, and sorry to hear about your injury. Back problems are the worst.

tomshouse516

Car(s)
09 GT1
Why not just put some shipping spacers in the rear?

That would stiffen the ride quality.

The other option is urethane spring spacers, but I am not sure you can get a set that would match the spring size, and stock spring perch design as well as a rear adj. perch.

tomshouse516

Car(s)
09 GT1
As would be adding perches for springs not designed/engineered for them. :thumbsup:

Incorrect.

The shipping spacers would effectively lock out a wind of the spring, and if you understand spring rates on coils that would increase the spring rate.

adding a perch would simply raise the mounting point of the springs with no effect on its rate.