GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

wheels/snow tires for 08 GTI?

Pat the Rat

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'll be getting an 08 GTI later this week and I was wondering what the recommendations were for wheels/snow tires. The stock AS tires were terrible in the snow if it was more than an inch when I test drove it in the snow. I bought a set of steel rims (ugly) and 4 Blizzaks for my Mazda Miata which nearly transformed it into a 4WD vehicle compared to what it was with the Dunlop AS tires that it came with. I was hoping to find the same success with the GTI. I read somewhere that people buy 16" rims/snow tires? The TireRack site only shows 17" and 18" for the GTI, so I'm not sure what to get. I do not care about looks since the car will always be dirty all winter anyway. Just want a cheap set of rims with tires that give me the best traction in snow like the Blizzaks did.

doltrev

Ready to race!
I believe on Tirerack if you go under the snow packages on the front page, then pick your car it will show 16" vehicles. I have been a really big fan of the Dunlop Wintersport M3 on my 16" audi wheels. They are well behaved in dry conditions, quiet, wearing very slowly and are good in snow.

wireb

Just a noob with a welder
On tire rack go under "snow tires" for the 16" option.

I got a set for my 08 GTI back in November.
Things you need
16" steelies
TPM (or just ignore the idiot light for half the year)
Tires of your choice (they have 16" blizzaks if you want to go that way)

I ended up getting the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D 91H

One thing to note the lug bolts that come with the new rims DO NOT work with stock rims and vice versa (one is a cone seat the other is a dome seat). Make sure to keep a set of "stock" lugs in the trunk during the winter in case you need to put the spare tire on. (unless you don't carry a spare)

If you go to the Red rabbit tire thread and on page 104 is my original question and responses starting about half way down.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
205/55R-16 General Altimax Arctic here. Bought 'em from the 'rack packaged with a set of 'takeoff' 16" steelies. I love 'em.

No TPMS sensors here. Just bought a VAG-COM last month. Finally got rid of the idiot light... I dealt with it for the first month or so.