GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel Size For Trackday Use?

vorsprung jerk technique

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk5 Golf TDI
Hi All, I would like to know what you guys think is the best size to use on track, I was thinking 17 or 18"? Also what widths to go with wider the better i guess? New to trackdays so any help would be great! :wink:

BinaryPie

Moar Fast!
Tire size will be more important.

I prefer 17" wheels because of the following reasons:
1) Lighter
2) Mass is closer to axel so it takes less energy to rotate
3) 245/40R17 tires are easier to find than 245/35R18
4) 18" are more expensive with no performance gain

Now I would run run 18" wheels if i was going to run a wider tire like 255 or 265 because then I could get 18x8.5 or 18x9. However those would likely require some sort of fender modification and/or camber plates.

Just my 2 cents.

GTI KRUG

No Place But Jersey
Car(s)
2007 gti
do you guys daily drive these setups or strictly track? cause i want to get 17x8 oz alleggerita and some wide rubber for the street since i don't track my car but i may try the autocross school at waterfest

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
do you guys daily drive these setups or strictly track? cause i want to get 17x8 oz alleggerita and some wide rubber for the street since i don't track my car but i may try the autocross school at waterfest

I run 245/40/17 RE01r's and 17x8 FTD's on the street (DD). I like it because I drive pretty aggressive on the street too!

vorsprung jerk technique

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk5 Golf TDI
17s it is, Cheers Guys!

BinaryPie

Moar Fast!

Look at my sig. I DD 245/40R17 on Alleggerita HLT 17x8 :)