GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel Alignment After Suspension Install...

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
After installing my Euro springs, my steering wheel is off-center (about 10 degrees left) and I can notice that the front right wheel has a toe out.

I intend to get all wheels aligned after my srings settled (after about 2000km)... but I think the toe-out is significant enough that I should have the installers re-check their work.

(According to the Bentley Repair Manual, alignment is not needed only when the struts are replaced.)

My understanding is that alignment is for fine-tuning only---and that it's better to start at the root of the issue. (ie. the only thing that's changed were the way the suspenion was re-installed)

Do you agree that I should have the suspension installers have a look? Or am I wasting my time?

GXX

Autocross Newbie
I rode about 200 miles after I had my springs installed. The alignment shop said everything looked fine except the driver side fronts, they were off by nearly half an inch. He said it doesn't look like the spring install would have done it, but who knows. He fixed it in 30 mins.

Get it done.

rica_roel

Rally Car Newbie
I have listen that you don´t need alignment after springs, they don´t move the camber and alignment, soo there is no need to.

Also I have read that if you drop the car more than 2" you would have to align

GXX

Autocross Newbie
Mess with your suspension, get an alignment. There is not "2 inch rule", stop spreading bad information.

errorini

Oval Newbie
If you think there is toe problem, i'd definetly get it realigned. You don't want to be paying a bunch of money later for new tires and alignment because of some dumb 2inch rule.

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
errorini said:
If you think there is toe problem, i'd definetly get it realigned. You don't want to be paying a bunch of money later for new tires and alignment because of some dumb 2inch rule.

You know, based on what the Repair Manual says (that removing and re-installing the struts---as opposed to the other suspension parts---will not necessitate an alignment), leads me to believe that the problem is caused by not putting the pieces back together carefully.

I would assume that if you replace the struts, you should still have correct tracking (ie, go strait without being off-center). I know that the camber settings will have to be corrected thru alignment but tracking should remain unchanged. Am I wrong?

big papa

Oval Newbie
If you get different springs installed and your steering wheel is off center than obviously something changed. Mine was off after HR Sports were installed, got it aligned and all was well. Why cheap out and not get the alignment checked??

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
big papa said:
If you get different springs installed and your steering wheel is off center than obviously something changed. Mine was off after HR Sports were installed, got it aligned and all was well. Why cheap out and not get the alignment checked??

I will get the alignment but what I didn't want to do is correct mearely a symptom of a larger problem. I wanted to make sure I correct the root of the problem first, then correct any remaining symptoms. Does that make sense?

I wanted to take a systematic engineering approach---rather than a hack approach. :wink:

rica_roel

Rally Car Newbie
GXX said:
Mess with your suspension, get an alignment. There is not "2 inch rule", stop spreading bad information.

Like I said and you can take it like you want, I heard that, and this is a forum and can say whatever I want, anyone can take it or live it, and I never said that there is a rule, I just said like a comment¡¡¡¡

I am tired of people like you on this forum, that take´s everithing for granted¡¡¡ and yes is very cheap to get an alignment so if ewoo wants to hear an answer yes have it done and for you that are so intelligent go and..

Ricardo

Last edited:

rica_roel

Rally Car Newbie
errorini said:

I just wanted to quote you, you are the dumb¡¡¡ ass....

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
GXX said:
werd, man.

ANY LITTLE CHANGE in ride height affect alignment. you could lower your car .2 inches, and you will need to be re-aligned.

alf

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
rica_roel said:
Like I said and you can take it like you want, I heard that, and this is a forum and can say whatever I want, anyone can take it or live it, and I never said that there is a rule, I just said like a comment¡¡¡¡ you as....

I am tired of people like you on this forum, that take´s everithing for granted¡¡¡ and yes is very cheap to get an alignment so if ewoo wants to hear an answer yes have it done and for you that are so intelligent go and..

Ricardo
how is he taking things for granted? he's just trying to lead him in the right direction. he has a different mentality than you do, and he, as well you, are entitled to they opinion.

here's my story, i used to believe in the whole "2 inch rule"

until my car had the front 2 wheels blow out on the freeway due to camber wear and my dumbass thinking everything was okay with the one inch drop i had. well it wasnt. and its not a good feeling.

alf

GXX

Autocross Newbie
rica_roel said:
Like I said and you can take it like you want, I heard that, and this is a forum and can say whatever I want, anyone can take it or live it, and I never said that there is a rule, I just said like a comment¡¡¡¡ you as....

Ricardo

For granted? I must say, that is a first in my years on various forums that someone said that about my post(s). Comment or not, your suggestion of a "2 inch rule" is bad information. This is not a comment about what % to tint your windows, this is someone's suspension you're dealing with. You can mess someone up on this one.

And let me add, I am tired of people like you suggesting things you know nothing about to other folks.

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
I sure agree with Rial. There is a lot of guys constantly shitting wrong information, but not a problem to me.

If you have dramatic toe setting changes, chances are you hit a pothole or a curb, most change happens on the camber settings.

To all garage queens, all of our cars come with some negative camber and going a little more will not hurt your car at all, as a matter of fact, if you look into the factory standards they allow you to go a little more negative camber, you will be fine. There is not a 2" rule, but logically, having 1" will not hurt your camber settings drastically.

Alf, sometimes you make me think WTF? how did you blow tires on the highway due to negative camber? I am yet to see one, and lemme tell you more, yet to hear one happining. Bigger camber will make your tires wear out unevenly, and quicker, it will not affect the ride, will benefit the corners.

I am running -1.6 front and -2.2 in the back, every 2000 miles rotating my tires (we learn something everyday).

Having said that all, i still encourage everyone to get an alignment, to restore the factory settings and/or overcome uneven settings on your suspension geometry.