GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
This is precisely why I strictly mountain bike......I can only blame myself when I hit a tree lol
We have large sidewalks in our neighborhood and ride bikes to the pool, but other than that, we ride trails. No way I'm riding on the road on a bike. F that noise.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
We have large sidewalks in our neighborhood and ride bikes to the pool, but other than that, we ride trails. No way I'm riding on the road on a bike. F that noise.
exactly.....I'm super cautious around road bikers, but when they are hugging a 4" wide line with no shoulder......and I ride and know how quickly a wheel can react to a rock and turn the hole frame......no way......strictly trails for me.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Same here, road bikers are nuts for trusting drivers these days. Pretty sure half the drivers in my town now drive high on weed now.
that or one eye on the road and the other texting.....the number of folks I see texting....or even watching a video WHILE DRIVING astounds me

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
that or one eye on the road and the other texting.....the number of folks I see texting....or even watching a video WHILE DRIVING astounds me
Yup, I really wish cops would start handing out tickets, probably can't anymore. Probably people TicToking or whatever because they can't go 3 minutes without stimulation. Social media is wrecking their brains. Oh, and yesterday this woman pulled into the costco gas pumps, the weed smell was so strong it fumigated my car 30ft away. She was so high she couldn't work the pump 🤦‍♂️ I had to leave my windows open for a few minutes to clear my car. Not only are they driving distracted, but also under the influence. Last year I was almost T-boned by a women who was clearly high...thankfully she ended up in a field and by an act of God missed some sturdy fence posts. She was shaken and very uhhhh....confused.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Yup, I really wish cops would start handing out tickets, probably can't anymore. Probably people TicToking or whatever because they can't go 3 minutes without stimulation. Social media is wrecking their brains. Oh, and yesterday this woman pulled into the costco gas pumps, the weed smell was so strong it fumigated my car 30ft away. She was so high she couldn't work the pump 🤦‍♂️ I had to leave my windows open for a few minutes to clear my car. Not only are they driving distracted, but also under the influence. Last year I was almost T-boned by a women who was clearly high...thankfully she ended up in a field and by an act of God missed some sturdy fence posts. She was shaken and very uhhhh....confused.
I think the worst offender I see is people blatantly on their phones, for long periods of time. I don't think it's a primary offense, but it's highly frustrating to see it. That and feet up on the dash are two things that really get me.

Dropping the GTI off for inspection tonight to pick up tomorrow after work, then it's road legal again. I also found that a 41" plank will fit snug under the carpet in the hatch, so I cut a 45° angle in the middle of a 2x6 to make a pair of mini 'ramps' to help with steep inclines, not that I'm really low enough to need them. Just kind of an inexpensive 'better to have it' type of thing, the front bumper to the wheel is more like 30" with the Aerofabb lip but this will at least give me a little bit more of a lead-up for things like large dips and/or turning large bumps into smaller ones. And since they're cut on a 45 from one another they nest nicely across the rear between the spare tire and the carpet, and in the event of an accident shouldn't be nearly as scary as if they ran lengthwise with the car.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Insurance? I've had two replaced, no deductible, and they covered my tint, too. ~$1300 each time. All I can say, is stick with OEM glass, and/or don't even consider safelite.
Safelite replaced my wife’s Tiggy windscreen with OEM glass. They said due to the sensors they only use OEM parts. Verified manufacturer and part number on the glass prior to install. Had to drive it to a specific shop, no onsite replacement.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
I've had the windshield on my R done 3x now. State Farm glass replacement has a $100 deductible and I was able to get OEM glass. The local glass installer I use coordinated with the VW dealer for them to order the glass and schedule me in. He then did the install in their shop and they then did the sensor alignment and I got the car back later in the day.

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I've had the windshield on my R done 3x now. State Farm glass replacement has a $100 deductible and I was able to get OEM glass. The local glass installer I use coordinated with the VW dealer for them to order the glass and schedule me in. He then did the install in their shop and they then did the sensor alignment and I got the car back later in the day.
Not bad. I have them and opted for zero deductible, and they're easy. I didn't know if a claim would affect my rates, so I went through safelite the first time, out of pocket.

They used non-OE glass twice in a row, broke the mirror cover clip, misaligned the trim, misaligned the glass itself (covering the VIN), forgot cowl clips, left the weather seal laying across my engine, didn't properly adhere the rain sensor (left bubbles), and the second windshield had deep scratches from shipping and they still installed it anyway. All in the course of maybe 2 weeks. Mom and pop shop ran the part number through their system and they said it wasn't even the correct glass for my car. Took 8 weeks to get refunded, too.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I had my windshield replaced (for retrofit purposes) but just went through the dealer. The glass isn't crazy expensive and the dealer arranged for the install. I was right around $500 installed (no sensor alignment though). They had a third party do it but at the dealership. I only paid the dealer so all issues/warranty, had there been any problems, would have been through the dealer. I've got a good sized chip in my windshield now so will be retrofitting the heated windshield at replacement time.

When I did the initial camera/sensor windshield I let USAA know and it would be covered if I replaced it with the same part number. This will be out of pocket again since the glass is (again) a non-original part number for my car. Then I'll update USAA again so it's covered in the future.