GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty Question

DonHowson

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
What has been your experience of late with VW voiding warranties?

The fuel pump gave out on my 2009 GTI after 22k miles. I have an intake, oil catch can, down pipe, and APR flash (which they might not know about.)

Service Advisor says this automatically voids my warranty. My understanding is they show some connection between the mods and whatever failed.

I haven't yet spoken to VW myself. Wanted to get your input first.

Thanks.

.../don

adamgti

Trust me, I'm an engineer
Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4 dr
It varies widely between dealers. I've had one dealer refuse to look at my brakes because of my suspension mods, and another dealer completely ignore all my engine mods when working on the engine. My suggestion is to try to find another dealer, maybe using the regional forums here, that is more mod friendly. Do you have the APR stock program and lockout option? I would definitely use those if you have them.

VWCASH

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI 2007
TSI have fuel pump problems too replace them all the time with the UPDATED PART!!! Tell the adviser to EAT A DICK!!!

lightningjack

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
09 GTI
They do need to show that a mod directly affected the part in question. You can try another dealer as some are more mod friendly than others. You could replace the fp yourself too.

Is this an FSI or TSI? Did your intake involve removing or alter the location of the MAF?

DUB2OT

Banned
fuel pump went bad on 09 GTI? are you FSI or TSI?
try another mod friendly dealer.

tampa_mk5

zungguzungguguzungguzeng
Car(s)
TSI have fuel pump problems too replace them all the time with the UPDATED PART!!! Tell the adviser to EAT A DICK!!!

Find this concerning as until reading this I had thought the TSI fuel pump was holding up fine even in K04 applications, 3 questions:

How many have you had to replace (estimate)?

Can you share the updated part #?

Have the fuel pump failures all been on tuned cars/any pattern of mods?

VWCASH

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI 2007
Over 20 give or take a few not including the other guys that replaced them too there is a TSB on them. Mostly stock cars. The pump is different too comes with a different style adapter to hookup to the fuelline.

tampa_mk5

zungguzungguguzungguzeng
Car(s)
I'll see if I can get a part number when I get back to work on vacation.

Thanks man! OP sorry to thread jack- we have pretty much the same set-up and I hate surprises! As adamgti and lightningjack mentioned it really depends on the dealer. Up here the one in Fayetteville is cool as long as you tell him what you got, the one one in Cary said they will honor anything as long as it happens while in "stock mode"- useless for me :wink: Prior to my CC install my "fine seperator" went on my PCV. I was stage 1 and my preferred dealer knew it and still did it for free. As was mentioned it all depends on the dealership/advisor, shop around!

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
You should take the parts off before bringing the car in??? Put back into stock mode and play stupid. It worked with my 99 A4 for years and my 06 and 07 Gti. All were tuned and never had issue.

DonHowson

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Thanks for your input.

I since called VW and they agree that mods do not automatically void a warranty. They have escalated the issue and one of their regional people will call the dealer.

The dealer said the issue was that the mods (likely the catch can plumbing) makes it a bigger job to repair, not what actually failed. (They also said all the techs loved what I had done to the car and everyone wanted to work on it!!)

Pardon my ignorance, but where is the fuel pump located? In the gas tank?

.../don

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Ouch..... I think its there duty to show the mod caused the failure. Sorry to hear about bad news,. VW dealers suck sometimes.

VWCASH

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI 2007
If it's the one in the fuel tank I don't see how anything you did would hurt it i wonder if the module that sits on top of the fuelpump went bad we do replace them all the time I have not replaced a fuelpump in any of the mk5 fueltank yet only the module!