GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Walnut Shell valve cleaning questions

problemsolving

Passed Driver's Ed
Can anyone give me some insight. Looking at getting a small blaster and doing a cleaning over the long holiday. Going to HF to get probably a 40lb blaster.
Then somehow finding a long nozzle to fit their setup and a radiator hose to attach the vacuum and put the nozzle thru into the chamber.
If anyone has done this can you give me any tips... how much blaster media will I need, how big of a blaster? TSI engine has 47500 miles but has never been cleaned. Thanks much!

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I bought a 25lbs box 24 grit and I went through about 1/4. https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-fine-grade-walnut-shell-blast-media-92155.html

The 50lbs blaster is fine just need a compressor that can more some air.
https://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html

Some people just siphon out of the box or bucket with a https://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html

I have about 5 or 6 nozzles of various length and bends, I will post up pictures later when I find where they are along with the vacuum intake port tools.

problemsolving

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought a 25lbs box 24 grit and I went through about 1/4. https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-fine-grade-walnut-shell-blast-media-92155.html

The 50lbs blaster is fine just need a compressor that can more some air.
https://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html

Some people just siphon out of the box or bucket with a https://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html

I have about 5 or 6 nozzles of various length and bends, I will post up pictures later when I find where they are along with the vacuum intake port tools.

Okay, I bought the red 20lb tank blaster and the fine grit walnut shells from HF. Went to Lowes and got a solid toilet filler line, put a 3/8" compression fitting on it to adapt it to the ball valve on the sand blaster hose. I can easily bend it and push it thru the radiator hose and hook the vacuum to the end of the hose. I watched a BMW video and they said you don't use the ceramic tips, just put the pipe extension on and go for it.
Do you have a good reference for taking the intake off and are there torque specs? I watched the one with the Humble Mechanic. Looks pretty straight forward. Hardest part is making sure you keep all the screws organized correctly.
Any ideal what size radiator hose to get that will fit in the intake yet seal it up well...? I'm trying to get all my stuff together so I can attack it Saturday and not have to run out to get stuff.
Already have the intake gasket and injector seal kits for each cylinder. I'm planning on only resealing the one if the injector comes out and inspecting the others you supposedly need the tools for to remove and install.
Did you scrape the big stuff out as best as you could before you hit it with the walnut shells?
How did you know the valves were closed tightly? Spray WD40 down there to see if it doesn't drain...? Never done it so I'm not sure how obvious it is once I start turning the crank clockwise to close them...?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
This is what I used

For reference I looked at Erwin, Bentley DVD, and whatever else I could find about the process. I did not scrape anything just set up my equipment and blasted a way. Just be sure the valves are closed in the intake you are blasting and to cover the other intake ports. I basically draped plastic over the whole engine compartment except for the intake ports.

problemsolving

Passed Driver's Ed
This is what I used

For reference I looked at Erwin, Bentley DVD, and whatever else I could find about the process. I did not scrape anything just set up my equipment and blasted a way. Just be sure the valves are closed in the intake you are blasting and to cover the other intake ports. I basically draped plastic over the whole engine compartment except for the intake ports.

The elbow with the screws in it, is it for VW or BMW? I've seen those for BMW but have not seen one for the VW engine. Looks like a great idea being able to bolt that to the block to get a good seal.
From what I've seen online if I can find the correct size radiator hose it will accomplish the same thing with a little more mess but still better than having an open area for the blast media to blow out of.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Top is for the mini but fits Vw FSI ports don't know about TSI, but the opening on the port is small and does not really allow wand to move around freely. The bottom is for the BMW and did fit FSI port with a small grind on the tool port for port hump. It then was modified with a plate that mounts tool flat with intake port and with the proper wands allows for full cleaning of ports.

If I were to do this without the tool or hose I would cover/warp car completely and only leave access to the intake ports, even with the tools I would still isolate the engine compartment from intake ports. Here is one persons solution.

Not to long ago someone posted that they did damage to engine, it jumped timing because the walnut shells got into the timing cover. Do not forget your PPE, keep safe.

Last edited:

problemsolving

Passed Driver's Ed
Got it done with no issues. Did use 6mil plastic and taped the entire engine bay except for the work area.
One fuel injector pulled out with the intake. Was going to replace seals without seal tool kit but decided it was too risky.
Found that Autozone had the seal tool kit, free rental, yeah. So, pulled all injectors, cleaned, re-sealed. If you don't know how to do it check youtube.
I didn't use the seal tool at first to reinstall white nylon seal, used bic pen cap to slide it on with my fingers. Did it using a magnifying headset so I could tell I didn't nick up the seal but even after I compressed it with the dye's it still wiggled more than the 3 others after install. But, no leaks thus far.
I am returning the HF 20lb blaster as it clogged constantly. I used a 3/8" compression fitting with a cut 3/8 chrome toilet feed line.
Also used a white nylon pool pump hose I had laying around from one of those cheap inflatable pools from wally world. One end had a smooth area you put a clamp on for the pump motor. It fit like it was made for the intake opening. Drilled a hole at the top about 6" back. When the blaster worked well it did a great job. I would say it only took a minute per opening. Used 100lb pressure.
I also used a pick for right behind the valve guides and flushed the area with cleaner and pulled the dirty liquid out with HF pneumatic oil extractor.

I did find when my intake was warrantied last year the tech did not put back the brace under the intake and later found that it was common for the dealers not to put it back. Lazy!

If I had to do it again I'd definitely use the Walnut shell blast but not the tank models from HF as I think part of the issue is the rust at the bottom of the tanks keep the media from sliding into the center output area.
I'd get the grey plastic open type, plus it's cheaper from HF and use the fine grit. I would try to find something more narrow than the 3/8" toilet feed line for the end of the blaster hose.

I would make sure I had the seal kits and tool rented from Autozone.

Make sure you know how to remove all plugs without breaking them.

I pulled the intake off with the throttle body attached. Removed the entire lower pipe.

Car runs amazingly better. At 47K it was not as bad as many pics I've seen online but still not good. I think with the tune, better oil, more frequent changes, getting on it more often it should go to 100k without issue before needing it again.