GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW mk5 GTI misfire and flashing engine light?

I am new to the VW/GTI world and have just purchased a 2009 GTI with 85k miles not long ago. Starting yesterday My car began shuttering while accelerating and the engine light would start flashing. If I baby the car it drives fine, but anything past 1/4 throttle and the car begins to (what I believe to be) misfire. The car has Apr stage 2, BSH intake, Forge DV, Apr down-pipe. The coil packs were just replaced, so idk what else to look at. If anyone could help me that would be awesome!

larcic

Ready to race!
sounds like a misfire, get the codes checked asap, autozone for free or buy a cheap obd2 scanner

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
Could be a vacuum leak somewhere, could be bad plugs. I wouldnt drive it with the light flashing. Also autopart store coiloacks dont like tunes. Oem or bust

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

5aprilc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
Yours is an 09 which is TSI, they have other problems. My 2010 with 78k miles already went through a turbo, pcv, rear main seal. All of those go bad on the tsi. Plus the timing chain tensioner.

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
The packs just go bad if you are tuned. I put new plugs and r8 packs from a parts store in (non oem) two of the packs went bad in a week of apr tune with less than 1000 miles on them. Check the code an see which code comes up. If its a particular cylinder misfiring thnmen take that coilpack abd move it to another cylinder an see if the misfire follows

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Ok, I'll check the coil packs and plugs this evening. What should I be looking for when checking the coil packs?

Scan the car first to find what codes you have and what cylinders are misfiring, unless you get want to change them all and hope it fixes the issue.

larcic

Ready to race!
you cant solve a check engine light without scanning the code

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Save your money on the red coils unless you want to dress up your engine or you find them cheaper priced than the OEMs.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Save your money on the red coils unless you want to dress up your engine or you find them cheaper priced than the OEMs.

Totally disagree. Real r8 coilpacks have a proven stronger spark that has been shown via extensive experimentation and measurement to stop misfires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
So what is the voltage output of the red tops, 20k, 30k, 40k. Please point me in the right direction.