GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgraded to 18" - Tyre pressure?

DMcC

Hi, I have upgraded to 18" wheels with 225/40 tyres. Can anyone tell me what is the recommended tyre pressure to run these at? Thanks in advance

Nezoid

Ready to race!
I"m guessing you don't have a GTI as you upgrade to 18s. You can run any pressures you want (within reason) to as long as you don't exceed the maximum pressure rating printed on the side of the tire.

DMcC

I don't have a Gti, it only lists the pressure for the original alloys on my car/handbook. The max pressure on the 18" tyres are 41 PSI, so I will try 38 and see how it is. Thanks for the help

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
if the max pressure is 41 i would back it down to like 32. as they will build pressure when you drive and they heat up.

That pressure seems pretty low.. my 225-40-18 tires have a max pressure of like 55psi or something like that.
I run them in the 35-40psi range.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i looked it up for Continental Extreme contact DW tires the max pressure is 51 psi.

OP i would maybe upgrade to some better quality tires... so you can run a little higher pressure without being so close to the max allowed.

DMcC

if the max pressure is 41 i would back it down to like 32. as they will build pressure when you drive and they heat up.

That pressure seems pretty low.. my 225-40-18 tires have a max pressure of like 55psi or something like that.
I run them in the 35-40psi range.
The max is actually 51 psi I read it wrong. I've put 35 psi in so will wait and see what they are like, then adjust from there