GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ultimate Brake Upgrade using Stock Calipers

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
After you hit a few bumps, and note the slower acceleration you'll likely end up taking the R brakes back off and putting them up in the classifieds.

They are not a good street upgrade.

They are not a good track upgrade.

They are not a good upgrade.

Your current set up is much better.

Other brakes have better bling factor if that is the only goal.

Get some studs on there too, if you're searching for parts I'd do a stud conversion way before R brakes.

Boxster brakes, don't these just scream look at me? I got laid all over the place with these brakes!

You seem a little on the fence about the whole thing.

Well we will see if I like them. Mostly this is just fun trying different stuff. If I really don't like them I will try something else.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
You seem a little on the fence about the whole thing.

Well we will see if I like them. Mostly this is just fun trying different stuff. If I really don't like them I will try something else.

Lol

Try em for sure.

I'd suggest the VAGCOM tweak to the ABS setting as well, as R32 brakes on a GTI are a bit challenging to modulate with threshold behavior, if not tracking it though not really an issue. Although first time stepping on it you're going to feel like you're being hurled through the windshield.

One thing that impressed me with the Mk6 Golf R was VW's ability to tune the suspension so you hardly felt the unsprung weight. I thought the R was one of the smoothest suspensions VW has ever done, the car drove great and felt tight stock. Dynamically on my GTI those big brakes felt like crap in every way. They stopped well for sure though.

Last edited:

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
The Tyrol caliper stiffening kit really helps with that on/off feeling with the R32 brakes.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
That RB R32 kit was nice in theory, but overpriced shit in reality. And yes their calipers seemed to be shit as well. 3 track events before one of mine started running out. And yes, where are the R32 pads that work with them? Answer - THERE AREN'T ANY. If you go RB, at least get the stock GTI size as there are pads that might work.

:happyanim::thumbsup::happyanim::thumbsup::23:

Love it, John !! :w00t:

When running S3/R32 brakes get TTS rotors (stock or Brembo).
They are better ventilated** and 2 lbs lighter - NO JOKE !!!
They fit R32 brakes 1:1 despite they are 340mm instead of 345.

...I cannot justify an expensive BBK unless I go FI, which is illegal in Italy
:(

I remember I've seen a GTI Edition 30 with Brembo 6-pots
when I was in Bergamo two years ago.

:wink:

** same as Brembo Max and AP Xtreme; similar to DBA's "Kangaroo Paw"

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Ok, thanks for all the input and support on my move to Golf R calipers. All the parts are here and I am ready to go. To help with mounting I have arranged the rental of a device with an appropriate lifting capacity to hold the calipers in place while we bolt them up. I will start a new thread. In the meantime I am on the lookout for the companion rear brakes which would allow running the 310mm brakes in the rear.

MKV Aaron

Form Follows Function
Car(s)
Golf R
It's the bruce... it must be correct!!! =) :bow:

Agreed, however since this is the first time i've heard this, I want to see if anyone is doing this. The 2lb weight difference is nice, but the decreased heat dissipation is the downside (less rotor), but does this "increased cooling" make up for it? Do the pads hang off? etc. Just looking for more details.

I've been looking at aftermarket rotors, and it seems stoptech slotted, or ECS 2 piece are the only decent options, no?

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Decent options for what exactly? OEM blanks always served me well, good resistance to warping, they don't crack and last even with track duty.

MKV Aaron

Form Follows Function
Car(s)
Golf R
Decent options for what exactly? OEM blanks always served me well, good resistance to warping, they don't crack and last even with track duty.

I currently have Porterfield R4S pads, and i'm on my second set of rotors due to pad deposits. Had my first set turned at pad install, at about 8k miles, then replaced them with new OEM VW (dealer, $86 a piece) blanks when those gave out. Well, they were pulsating due to pad deposits, so I had the new ones turned, and they were off from mile 1 after the turn (last week).

Since I will have to change my pads, I was thinking about changing rotors too. I do routine Hocking Hills runs, and route 555, that would mimic the stress an HPDE puts on brakes. Additionally, I autocross regularly, and use the car as a daily.

I'm open to suggestions on how to improve things...I have SS lines, and ATE gold 200 fluid, bled regularly. I'll be getting the Tyrol bushings with the pad/rotor order above too. No plans to change calipers to bbk any time soon.

My buddy used to have a TTRS, and daily drove Carbotech XP10 Front and XP12 rears. He upped the rear to stabalize car under braking, and was happy with the results.

Thoughts on pads/rotors for my R?

Slave IV

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV R32, B5 S4
Yeah, OEM seems to be the best quality rotor available materal-wise. If you want slotted, I suggest SP Performance because they make their slotted rotors out of actual OEM rotors, not cheap aftermarket replacements.

Talguy

Go Kart Champion

telaio

Ready to race!
I've been looking at aftermarket rotors, and it seems stoptech slotted, or ECS 2 piece are the only decent options, no?
In my opinion the RB Open Slot rotors are rather excellent with YellowStuff pads, but I have no experience with other pads though but might try BlueStuff next time for improved performance on track.