GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tweeter wiring help

kgspeed700

Ready to race!
I am upgrading my stock speakers but decided to use the stock crossovers. When wiring the tweeter in i noticed there are 3 wires that run from the crossover to the tweeter. However the JL tweeter going in only has 2 wires. Was wondering if I could get some quick advice on how to wire it. thanks any help is appreciated

ClassicRbt

Ready to race!
You should really avoid using the oem crossover with different speakers. Waste of time in my opinion. Not even worth getting the doors apart for them.

Last edited:

kgspeed700

Ready to race!
Thanks for the help. And i do understand where your coming from by saying not to use the stock crossovers. But i was just looking to get a new set of woofers and tweeters and run stock components just for a little more sound and clarity. But thanks i do appreciate the help. Hopefully this will fix my issue

positive, negative, and ground. use pos and neg. not sure what the colors are but willing to bet the one to omit is either green or brown

ClassicRbt

Ready to race!
Also, I remember that after mixing one of the wires up my mid speaker was disabled. Make sure that is working before you put the door panel back.

j_audio

Audial Delta
Car(s)
2008 Jetta Wolfsburg
You'll probably destroy your sound swapping in new tweets with the factory crossovers. . . Just common sense, but not common to all.

Rpgonzalez

Hello folks. I was very interested in this conversation, as several people were making claims as if they were facts. An overwhelming number of posters agreed that changing the tweeter was a mistake, and then did not actually answer the question. This is ridiculous. and then j_audio claimed this was common sense and then I just got upset at this fucking ridiculousness.

So first of all, I investigated the wiring and it turns out that in my JSW, there is a green wire that is the postive lead. And no, there would never ever be two positive leads to be connected. Seriously... Who visits this board? The other two leads (brown and purple) are negative and ground, and those two are to be connected together.

And finally, I whole heartedly disagreed with the saying that changing the tweeter will destroy sound. I have been doing home and car audio for a couple of decades now, and the first mistake is to assume a crossover can be "special." I've built crossovers, and have entertained the notion that it's important to use expensive capacitors and blah blah blah. Whatever. The designers of the sound system in these automobiles, probably looked at some generic three way crossover diagrams, selected a few resistors, capacitor and inductors and called it a day. Makers of high end audio charge a lot because they put more care into creating drivers that are tonally balanced. In home audio, this is especially important because they can place the speaker and enclosure in an anechoic chamber and make small adjustments. This is irrelevant in car audio, because you can't even control the enclosure and less likely the road noise etc.

It was obvious that the midbass and midrange for my JSW were perfect (probably by accident!) but seriously, the crossover is fine. It has certain crossover points similar to almost any three way speaker. And my dynaudio three ways in my 350z were pure bliss on the show room floor (as expected) but were a nightmare in the car. Even after 100 pounds of dynamat (and you think I'm kidding) those dynaudios could NEVER sound as good as when the car was standing still.

Anyway, I'm rambling. My point. I took the challenge and replaced only the tweeters with Hertz HT 20's. The results are amazing. Interestingly, I like this system with stock amp just as good as my dynaudio system (at freeway speed and normal listening volume).

You may not share my enthusiam, but I can say with 100% certainty that changing tweeters did NOT ruin my system.

ClassicRbt

Ready to race!
quite enthusiastic for a first post.

I'm pretty sure I know what I connected to my car. Granted it may not have been two "positive" feeds, it was two leads though and a (-). I had connected the two grounds together. Simple typo in my case.

I know for fact leaving one of them disconnected had cancelled out my mid speaker. Which it turns out was that extra "ground".

So with that said, and with your attitude you will have a great time on this forum.

what a joke
:clap:

MK5-Jetta

Car(s)
MK5 Jetta 2.5
Hello folks. I was very interested in this conversation, as several people were making claims as if they were facts. An overwhelming number of posters agreed that changing the tweeter was a mistake, and then did not actually answer the question. This is ridiculous. and then j_audio claimed this was common sense and then I just got upset at this fucking ridiculousness.

So first of all, I investigated the wiring and it turns out that in my JSW, there is a green wire that is the postive lead. And no, there would never ever be two positive leads to be connected. Seriously... Who visits this board? The other two leads (brown and purple) are negative and ground, and those two are to be connected together.

And finally, I whole heartedly disagreed with the saying that changing the tweeter will destroy sound. I have been doing home and car audio for a couple of decades now, and the first mistake is to assume a crossover can be "special." I've built crossovers, and have entertained the notion that it's important to use expensive capacitors and blah blah blah. Whatever. The designers of the sound system in these automobiles, probably looked at some generic three way crossover diagrams, selected a few resistors, capacitor and inductors and called it a day. Makers of high end audio charge a lot because they put more care into creating drivers that are tonally balanced. In home audio, this is especially important because they can place the speaker and enclosure in an anechoic chamber and make small adjustments. This is irrelevant in car audio, because you can't even control the enclosure and less likely the road noise etc.

It was obvious that the midbass and midrange for my JSW were perfect (probably by accident!) but seriously, the crossover is fine. It has certain crossover points similar to almost any three way speaker. And my dynaudio three ways in my 350z were pure bliss on the show room floor (as expected) but were a nightmare in the car. Even after 100 pounds of dynamat (and you think I'm kidding) those dynaudios could NEVER sound as good as when the car was standing still.

Anyway, I'm rambling. My point. I took the challenge and replaced only the tweeters with Hertz HT 20's. The results are amazing. Interestingly, I like this system with stock amp just as good as my dynaudio system (at freeway speed and normal listening volume).

You may not share my enthusiam, but I can say with 100% certainty that changing tweeters did NOT ruin my system.
Hey, I know this post is a few years old but I have a MK5 Jetta which I know is super similar to the MK5 Golf . I am redoing my entire 10 speaker system , but not using an AMP just taping into the existing speaker wire for power. The front door, the woofer works fine, but I could not get the replacement midrange (Kicker 47KSC404) and the tweeter doesn’t work (JBL Club 64CSQ) . I see the wires, the brown purple and green wires from the existing tweeters wiring, I did what you commented , crimped the green to positive, and brown and purple together to negative, but the tweeters won’t turn on. Similar process for the midrange . What’s different from the woofer wires and the midrange and tweeter is, the woofer only has 2 wires (positive and negative?) whereas the midrange and tweeter have 3 wires (positive negative and ground)? I noticed a very small capacitor looking thing on the tweeters when I removed them , so I’m not sure if you’re suppose to twist the ground and negative wires together or ground them . Could you help on how you got yours to work or show some pictures of the wiring ? Thank you so much