GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Backspin?

tweak666

When this baby hits 88...
Car(s)
2006 GTI DSG
Does turbo backspin sound like 'choo choo choo' when you let off the throttle? Happened today for the first time when I had to slam on my brakes as I was about to shift to 2nd. I'm just wondering if that's what backspin sounds like. It sounded badass like the GT2-RS from Forza :) But I'm not looking to grenade a k03, so it's probably best if it didn't happen again.

tweak666

Car(s)
2006 GTI DSG
Just googled some videos, and you're right - it was a flutter & not a true comp surge. I dig that sound. Based on the diagrams I'm guessing it's caused by too much air for the DV to handle so some of it goes out through the turbo?

I just confused myself... can someone explain? thx

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
If I understand what you're saying, that sound comes through your intake. You are using a DV (not a BOV) which does not release the air into the atmosphere, instead it pulls it back in and some of it finds its way out through your air filter. I don't have a CAI yet but sometimes when I take my foot off the pedal at 2.5K rpms I can hear that horse-like sound, it's just a very quiet sound. What aftermarket intakes do is that they amplify that sound so much that they can turn heads.

g_berserk

Smartass in Training
Car(s)
SEAT Ibiza FR
If I understand what you're saying, that sound comes through your intake. You are using a DV (not a BOV) which does not release the air into the atmosphere, instead it pulls it back in and some of it finds its way out through your air filter. I don't have a CAI yet but sometimes when I take my foot off the pedal at 2.5K rpms I can hear that horse-like sound, it's just a very quiet sound. What aftermarket intakes do is that they amplify that sound so much that they can turn heads.

Almost any intake with metallic piping, not too sure on the plastic ones because I haven't heard any in person.

I have a Fujita intake and it's LOUD

tweak666

Car(s)
2006 GTI DSG
I do have a CAI and tpically it's more whoosshh-y, not choppy like what I heard today. I was boosting & about to shift through a yellow light when I saw a cop and had to slam & stop. Maybe it just sounded louder from the lack of tire and exhaust noise. Thanks for the replies.

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
^ Haha imagine if the cop thought you did it for him. Having said that not long ago I did a roll by myself while there was a cop crusing right next to me, well there isn't such a law that prohibits hard acceleration, in fact when you're on the left lane you're actually encouraged to accelerate as much as possible and get back to the middle lane. Mind you I never exceeded the speed limit. So anyway in the vehicle there were a bunch of youngsters who obviously enjoyed it because at the next light they gave me a thumbs up. :biggrin:

Almost any intake with metallic piping, not too sure on the plastic ones because I haven't heard any in person.

I have a Fujita intake and it's LOUD
I'm so confused right now about which intake to buy. I'm between the Neuspeed P-Flo K04 and the ITG. The latter has a filter twice the size (it's a foam type and oiled) and the intake is the biggest I've seen (if I had to guess I'd say 50% larger diameter). So I've been trying to see which sounds better because otherwise they're both perfect for my setup.

TSiUG

sleeper...
P-Flo is guaranteed to be loud. This is a fact. Sometimes I wish I had gone with the neuspeed....my TSI Carbonio is fucking silent.

tweak666

Car(s)
2006 GTI DSG
I like EVOMS v-flow sound over neuspeed. More Darth Vader-y

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
Carbonio is way too quiet.. The bsh is great balance on noise, loud when it needs to be but not ignorant loud like the fujita for example lol

As far as surge, yea it aint bad as long as it aint often. Some cars surge like a mofo in lower rpms when tuned (srt's, boosted hondas, etc.) usualy the turbo is big enough and sturdy enough to handle a couple lbs commin backwards though. Anyway like i said no biggie...