GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Toyota GR Corolla Discussion

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Plus it solves my biggest concern about the R. It seems too refined and serious. I'm not sure that's what I want, I like dumb cars, this seems to fit the bill.

I'd probably need to sort out some sort of diffuser, but if this works on the Yaris, the same approach should work on the GR Corolla. Three bangers don't need a tip for each cylinder.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Nothing is worse than center exhaust.

Even on super cars this looks stupid.

This car isn't going to sell well. Dealers aren't going to let it. It'll be hugely marked up, will sell poorly, then be discontinued.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals

This car isn't going to sell well. Dealers aren't going to let it. It'll be hugely marked up, will sell poorly, then be discontinued.
VW started out with dumb markups on all of the Mk8s but it was starting to go away, then they went and sank a boat and shut down the plant.

Apparently Toyota is already trying to talk dealers out of markups, but we’ll see how that works. I’m ready for direct sales.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
VW started out with dumb markups on all of the Mk8s but it was starting to go away, then they went and sank a boat and shut down the plant.

Apparently Toyota is already trying to talk dealers out of markups, but we’ll see how that works. I’m ready for direct sales.
I would say I don't understand why this isn't a thing but I do understand. It's literally written into law.

You being in Texas should know, it is illegal even for Tesla to sell you a car directly.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I think the dealer network will be killed off with the push to EV's. Ford's move is very clearly based around getting the greedy dealer network out of it, and I think it's reciprocal, as the only maintenance an EV needs is an annual brake flush. I'd have considered a Mach E GT, but a quick scan of local inventory spoke to markups and I just closed the browser and kept looking at Polestars which have almost direct sales, not fully there, but I bet it's coming. Audi is apparently working to do the same, it's really only a matter of time until the crooked collective is killed off.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Not kink shaming automatics, I still enjoy driving my wife’s ‘21 GLI, but the auto & creature comforts thing goes hand in hand.

Case and point, my is38 GTI is poverty spec and the GLI is a Autobahn. Just the way she goes more often than not if you look at who’s buying what and for what use…you don’t see a lot of Autobahns doing track duty.
Majority of the GTIs at the track are Autobahn up here....

Would you, because if it was a Lexus it would be 70k.

I’m 31 and feel like it’s a bit boy racer, but kinda cool in that sense. I agree the STI crowd will flock to them (and I’ll be there to gap them in my GTI lol).

Stock for stock, the GR Corolla should be faster than a MK7 or MK8 GTI. Tuned, I think the EA888 wins. However I've read of GR Yaris making over 500HP on mainly stock internals. Must be some serious tuning.

I love the centre exhaust. Subjective thing of course.

Luckily for us, cars can't be sold above MSRP. There's already a long line for the GR Corolla. Some people are reportedly offering $5k for their place in line.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I can't see a tuned GTI being faster than an awd car with mechanical diffs and fixed calipers front and rear.

That 475hp HKS car was making 375 on pump gas, the extra 100 was from a nitrous shot. I think 400 is probably the ceiling for this motor on pump gas, which certainly puts it at a large disadvantage to the EA888.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I’ve literally never seen a Autobahn track car lol, who purposefully adds a sunroof and heavier interior.

Must be a Canadian thing.
It was the cost out of the factory. Wasn’t much more, so why not?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
It was the cost out of the factory. Wasn’t much more, so why not?

I paid $23,500 for my poverty spec 2016 GTI in December 2015 & at the time a Autobahn was about 30k.

I’m not trying to kink shame, just have never once personally seen a Autobahn track prepped and I’ve got customers in 49 states and Canada.