GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tint?

SFIrishFool

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' GTI
Have any of you run into problems with your tint being too dark?

Got a warning from a cop that lives down the street from me that mine might be too dark, but its the way it was when I bought it from the dealership, and the driver's side isn't tinted, I thought that was all the cared about?

I would love to go full limo all around but two of my co-workers have already gotten fix-it tickets for it recently.

It's all dependent on the area. I've got limo tint in the back, and dark in the front. No front plate either, no problems so far in my 40k miles of commuting.

EDIT: In CA the rears can be as dark as you want, but you can't have ANY tint on the front, by law.

SFIrishFool

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' GTI
Yeah I know the back window's ok and you can't touch the drivers.

No front plate really?

I got stopped for that EVERYWHERE in my old Rabbit.

MDgti08

Go Kart Champion
i am double limo and if i see a cop i just turn my dome light on and act like im looking for something, so he can see me and see i dont have a gun or im not some crack head etc. or if its during the day i just role them down. i mean i have gotten a ticket for it so cops can be dicks about it.

Tetsuei

needs m0ar shiny.
California Vehicle Code states that front side windows must allow 88% light transmission or more, and that you must have documentation from the shop stating that it's 88% transmission. Rear side windows you can pretty much black out if you want, and same for rear facing window. However, you can't touch the front windshield AT ALL.

As for front plate, as long as your front plate is forward facing and less than 60 inches off the ground, you're cool. I'm gonna get the front five holes filled in, and stick the front plate to the passenger side sun visor, and drop that down when driving. The other alternative (at least on the Mk6) is that the front plate mount actually clips onto the grille, and can presumably hold itself without any screws. If you want, you can ziptie them to the grille and the ziptie gets covered by the actual license plate, and you've still got no holes in the front bumper.

SFIrishFool

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' GTI
bump.

just got the OK from a friend who's a cop for the tint I'll be getting next week.

Nice idea with the placement of the license plate on the passenger side sun visor, my wife is so short the damn thing doesn't even keep sun out her eyes anyway so I might just do that.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Nope.... lol heres my gli tinted the Fuck out lol I even got a light coat across my whole windshield but gli registered to Texas, my home state and active duty military so I never get pulled over or harassed.

Tetsuei

needs m0ar shiny.
Have to add to this - CVC says 88%, but all the tint shops say 70%, so... at this point I'm not sure who to believe - I went with 70% on the front side windows, even though with compounding (factory glass pretinted) it's probably less than 70%.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Have to add to this - CVC says 88%, but all the tint shops say 70%, so... at this point I'm not sure who to believe - I went with 70% on the front side windows, even though with compounding (factory glass pretinted) it's probably less than 70%.

Yeah but I'm registered to Texas , as far as I've been told by police here in SD they can't do anything cuz I could be a "visitor" lol and since my car is under my wifes and my name and she travels back and forth its legit plus I Dr note lol

Tadddd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI 2-Door
5% all around for me.

My friend has 5% all around, then 50% windshield on his car. He just put double 5% on his rear windows. He's gotten pulled over for front window tint a few times, luckily both chp and city cops have not noticed his windshield.

when it comes down to it, most cops i've seen just tack the window tint on top of something else they pulled you over for.

I usually roll my windows down in conjunction with KA going off on my radar detector lol.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Yeah and also the cool shit about having ur car tinted is , well at least in my car is, you don't need to wear sunglasses lol

Tdoug60

Ready to race!
Have any of you run into problems with your tint being too dark?

Got a warning from a cop that lives down the street from me that mine might be too dark, but its the way it was when I bought it from the dealership, and the driver's side isn't tinted, I thought that was all the cared about?

I would love to go full limo all around but two of my co-workers have already gotten fix-it tickets for it recently.

Was the car tinted when u bought it??

My car 5%

BZK

SUCK, SQUEEZE, BANG, BLOW
Car(s)
Rabbit MKV
i got a fix it ticket not too long ago for my tint...i think the dick cop was in a bad mood or something cuz before that i never ran into trouble...fucking sack of shit....

and the state is desperate for money right now so im pretty sure they're gonna crack down on minor shit like tint..idk if you've noticed how many CHP's are around nowadays...i went up to the bay area a couple weeks ago and they had speed traps all over the damn place...