GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing pull...

613B6

Ready to race!
I just got the car up and running and I noticed in the logger the car pulls 12 degrees of timing after it warms up. (Never did this before) It does this pretty much in any engine load, rpm, and gear. I spent the weekend trying to pin point where but pretty much anything over 10% throttle once warmed up, it pulls 12 degrees across all 4 instantly and never adds timing back. There is no codes, plugs and coil packs are fresh, even did a compression test and it came back with 198 across the board. I haven't touch the knock sensor as they aren't known for failing. I also just changed the TB as it failed recently. Car runs on maestro, forged internals, rs4 injectors, 3076. Any help is appreciated.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Only thing I can think of is that your Maestro tune has way too much timing advance dialed in, and the engine is trying to protect itself accordingly.

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
Who tuned your car or is it a base file?

613B6

Ready to race!
It's not the tune as it was running fine before. I even tried to lower the timing just to see and it bottomed out on the min timing tables. I feel like it more sensor related..very puzzled.

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
Hmm try the BT thread, those guys definitely have way more experience with Maestro then I do and can probably recommend a better solution. Either way report it's always good to learn something new.

613B6

Ready to race!
Timing is spot on checked it three times as well blocks 230/1 are whats requested. The logs show O2 correction within +\- 5% so it's not a fueling related matter, just pulls timing..

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
Timing is spot on checked it three times as well blocks 230/1 are whats requested. The logs show O2 correction within +\- 5% so it's not a fueling related matter, just pulls timing..

Sounds like the knock sensors are pu internal noise. Have you done ANY recent work inside the engine ? Does it pull any timing when idling ? Does it pull any timing while reving it at a stand still with no load ? I see you say it pulls timing when warmed up , what about when cold at first start up ? If it was running ok prior I would back track and look at what work was done lately that could have caused it. Lmk so we can help narrow things down. Bob G :thumbsup:

613B6

Ready to race!
No internal work has been completed since the problem started. Its doesnt pull knock idling, only once you crack the throttle at idle with no load and anytime after that while driving. Ive noticed this twice now that the issue of happens once the motor gets some heat in it, but it has been consistent enough to say a rough coolant temp where it starts.

I know this might sounds stupid, but how sensitive is the knock sensor to external noise? As Im in the mist of redoing things, I have the back IC piping that comes off the turbo touching the oil pan and an exhaust that vibrates everywhere, any chance these could set things off? Thanks for you input, much appreciated.

18bora

Ready to race!
I have the back IC piping that comes off the turbo touching the oil pan and an exhaust that vibrates everywhere, any chance these could set things off? Thanks for you input, much appreciated.

Of course, a lot of things can cause knock, including exhaust/piping rattle, bad tank of gas and overly rich afr's.

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
Bad gas, i also have read somewhere that bad mounts can give timing pull/knock.

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
No internal work has been completed since the problem started. Its doesnt pull knock idling, only once you crack the throttle at idle with no load and anytime after that while driving. Ive noticed this twice now that the issue of happens once the motor gets some heat in it, but it has been consistent enough to say a rough coolant temp where it starts.

I know this might sounds stupid, but how sensitive is the knock sensor to external noise? As Im in the mist of redoing things, I have the back IC piping that comes off the turbo touching the oil pan and an exhaust that vibrates everywhere, any chance these could set things off? Thanks for you input, much appreciated.

From cold start to warmed up Monitor the values of the 02 sensor with your vag it maybe out of spec even thou its not throwing a code and your trims are good . If your run Eurodyne its prob MAF delete? And your 02 sensor plays a big role espec when the car warms up which is the time your having the problem. If the values are not moving around or out of spec its time for a new sensor. Let us know. Bob G

613B6

Ready to race!
Thanks Bob, yes its a mafless eurodyne file, how would I know its out of spec without vagcom assuming my fuel trims are fine? (only have Meastro for viewing/logging). The O2 moves in a normal fashion but I can certainly try another sensor to eliminate that. Thanks.

613B6

Ready to race!
O2 swap and TB adaptation didn't do anything...

molo

Ready to race!
I have the same problem. My MAFless tune is pulling -12 degrees on all the cylinders from 2000 to 7000 RPM. Branden is helping me with my tune, according to him the car is running rich and the ECU is going into safe mode. I replaced the map sensor to the 3 bar one and had my file updated today, I don't think this is problem but I'll share with you if I see any improvement...