GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing Belt When?

LoyalSage

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKIV & MKV R32
i have not checked since im super low mileage still, but if 120k is when they recommend replacing it, then dang! thats awesome.

OK, so I just went through the service manual scans in the sticky DIY, 120k timing belt replacement is for the TFSI models (late 2008 models and later), I believe those have a timing CHAIN, not BELT.

The first recommended BELT inspection for the FSI (early 2008 and before) model is at 60K and at 80K as well, basically inspect constantly after 60K and replace when needed.

I think this is more like it :)

Last edited:

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I wonder how much it costs to have the belt changed? I'm at 70k and have no issues with the belt so far.

You would never have issues with a belt, it just breaks one day and destroys your engine. Pistons collide with valves, mayhem ensues. You generally replace it as a preventative measure when the belt nears the end of it's useful life.

jkaruzas

Autocross Champion
i haven't priced it yet for an MKV, but the average that i saw for parts and labor for a water pump and timing belt replacement for a 2.7T A6 was around $1000-$1200. it's probably something in that ballpark.

LePatron

Ready to race!
I have a TSI but am buying a Mk4 TDI and inquired with a local dealer about the cost of replacing the timing belt. They told me that generally the cost is between $500 and $750 with TDIs being on the higher range. The newer belts last much longer but the recommendation for changing is also a function of age. For the 2004 TDI that I'm buying they told me 100K or 5 years.

mrlapou

Ready to race!
Supplying dealer here in UK is charging £250 ($400) All in incl taxes etc.
Trouble is they are 3.5hrs drive away...
Oh well another DIY job for me when 6yrs old by which time car will have done about 41k miles or I've sold it to buy a Yeti !

soreenlover

I've just received a friendly reminder from my vw garage stating my mk v gti is due a cambelt change as it's 4 years old. Only done 45k miles, surely this is too soon, anyone got any thoughts? perhaps its just an inspection? But then as michail77 says its a job just to inspect it so may as well replace.

borat

very nice!
Car(s)
mkv GTI
I was talking to Vic from Eurowurx (Los Angeles), and he recommended me to change the timing belt at 80K. He also gave me a quote for just under 900$, which I think is reasonable.

P.S. The quote was for a 2007 GTI

VW_GTI5

Eat Sleep VW
I have the kit sitting in my living room I figure I'll wait a little longer and when I have to money to pay someone to do it for me. I think right now my dsg takes precedence.