GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

This amp good enough?

skacoreimplore

they see me trollinnn
Car(s)
GTI MKV
My uncle gave me a JL Audio w3 12w3 sub yesterday. My other uncle gave me a Kenwood PS150 amp, but I'm thinking maybe the amp isn't good enough for the sub? I've found a few used JL 500/1 amps on craigslist for $200, would it be worth it to get one of those or is the one I have sufficient? I'm new to this stuff :iono:

Kingkongbass

Night Krawler
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI DSG
Kenwood amps sound like booty unless there the eXcelon models. I would use the ps150 to push the stock 3-ways up front. The 500/1 would be a little to much power because the w3's only need about to 300 watts to hit hard and sound clean, but you can always to turn the gain down and be perfectly fine. I would get the 500/1 if you are planning on upgrading the sub later on. If not then the 250/1 and the 300/2 would work out just fine. It really depends on whats the sub's nominal impedance. Is it 2 ohm, 4 ohm, or 8 ohm?

Car(s)
08 VW GTI GKV
My "Uncle's" also supply me with audio supplies, however they have a nasty habit of walking around parking ramps at night with a crowbar.

When in doubt, go for more wattage and turn the gains down.
Transistor saturation FTL.

skacoreimplore

they see me trollinnn
Car(s)
GTI MKV
My "Uncle's" also supply me with audio supplies, however they have a nasty habit of walking around parking ramps at night with a crowbar.

When in doubt, go for more wattage and turn the gains down.
Transistor saturation FTL.

lol, one worked at hifi buys for like 10 years in car audio, the other just bought and sold car audio stuff on ebay for a while and had an amp left over. Its just coincidence that they both were in the same line of work.