GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Golfmkv OFF-TOPIC chat (Part 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
I read a blog earlier today that said they have made some ISO files available if you'd like to burn a disk or make a USB installer instead of relying on Windows Update.

You still have to upgrade your version of Windows 7 before you can install a fresh copy off the ISO. When you upgrade, it registers the new key with your major hardware information (from your motherboard, cpu, etc). So when you install the new copy after upgrading, you don't enter a product key because Microsoft recognizes your computer based on your hardware.

If you skip the upgrade step, there's no way to activate Windows 10 because there's nothing tying your computer to a legitimate version of Windows 7 or 8 with a Windows 10 key.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
You still have to upgrade your version of Windows 7 before you can install a fresh copy off the ISO. When you upgrade, it registers the new key with your major hardware information (from your motherboard, cpu, etc). So when you install the new copy after upgrading, you don't enter a product key because Microsoft recognizes your computer based on your hardware.

If you skip the upgrade step, there's no way to activate Windows 10 because there's nothing tying your computer to a legitimate version of Windows 7 or 8 with a Windows 10 key.

This might be my issue.

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
W10 worth the switch from W7?

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
The way I see it, it's a free upgrade and Microsoft drops support on operating systems that are over 10 years old.

Got it done. Did a fresh install of windows 7 (still not 100% genuine), still wasn't prompted. So downloaded the app that downloads it and ran through the process. Then once finally get into it, undoing it all so I could do a clean install. Long story short, I got 1 of my win7 rigs updated. So far it looks great.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
haha I've been running this (http://startisback.com/) on my Windows 8 machine since the day I got it, so I never cared that Windows 8 ditched it. I'm glad they realized they messed up and brought it back though.

That sure would have been nice to know. LIKE THREE YEARS AGO!!!!!!

I actually didn't mind the metro UI and windows 10 (so far) seems like a nice blend of it. One thing I am going to miss is the old windows 8 skype app. It was great. If you want to use skype, the desktop version blows. Bloated with ads, while the metro app was ad free. Skypes a piece of shit program but everyone uses it.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
This afternoon I'll update my laptop and see whats up with touchscreen. I'm curious how that'll work.

The game I've been playing a bunch (Ark Survival) has native DX12 support. Will report back with findings.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
This afternoon I'll update my laptop and see whats up with touchscreen. I'm curious how that'll work.

The game I've been playing a bunch (Ark Survival) has native DX12 support. Will report back with findings.

DX12 is the big draw for me currently. A lot of my software and game engines rely on it pretty heavily, so I'm hoping to be able to try some new things and see some results.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
merkeyterkey;3785516 Did you guys know cars and coffee here in Irvine isn't a thing anymore?[/QUOTE said:
Wow that sucks. Bakersfields isn't too bad, about 100 cars show up. Lately I've been seeing a lot of traveling meet ups.

k04 and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.