GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The battery: Want to cut 25 pounds from your car?

POLARBEAR666

Ready to race!
Deka batteries are for Harleys/bikes/ATV's etc. But on a tester it had CCA of 720amps vs the oddyssey 680 which only had 390. It PWNED the oddyssey. Deka is a favourite of the go kart and biker community. Good enough for my 1.4!

:happyanim:

BarneyBoy

...and it's only a 1.4?
Car(s)
Mk5 Golf GT
Hell, that's a massive difference!

What's the diet up to now, Polar? Your TSI's gonna fade away!

Still there 'ain't no substitute for power:weight :headbang:

('cept cubes, mebbe)

POLARBEAR666

Ready to race!

Diet looks like this.....goes to show that grams add up to kilo's! The fuel saving from not having 65kg in car should pay for the battery over a year I rekon. All the other mods are free. Just need to remove that sHIT. Basically if it isnt welded on, it goes in my closet. Thats how my TSI does 6.89 to 100 on dynolicious hehehe give GTI's a scare!

REAR SEAT BACK SMALL SECTION 6.3
REAR SEAT BACK DOOR 4.9
REAR SEAT BACK LARGE SECTION 11.9
REAR BOTTOM SEAT 5
SPARE TYRE 14.7
TOOLS ETC 4
REAR WIPER + MOTOR 1
JACK AND TOOLS 3.5
TURBO HEAT SHIELD 1.1
FACTORY MUFFLER LEFT HANGER 0.3
PLASTIC BITS + RUBBER STRIPPING FROM ENGINE BAY 1.3
Deka Battery ETX18L 700+CCA 8.2kg $250 Aud 10.7
Battery tray removed 0.6
65.3kg TOTAL WEIGHT REDUCTION

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
With a battery that much smaller (less amp/hrs) it might be worth checking that you don't have any significant current consumption when switched off, otherwise you when go to start your engine after not using your car for some days (eg hols, trip away for work etc) you could find the battery no longer has enough charge to get you going.

So what is next in the weight reduction campaign ? Lexan windows, remove boot lid and doors, roof, bonnet ? I seem to remember some US mob literally stripped down some POS to the bare essentials and it accelerated MUCH faster (but was totally unroadworthy).

POLARBEAR666

Ready to race!
Well.... I want to look into a custom downpipe and a cat.... I figure the stock dump pipe would weigh 20kg so might be 10-12kg saving in a new dump pipe.

But before I do that..... Wheels. They will make the biggest difference but I can't justify ditching new rims with new tyres... when the tyres are worn ill upgrade to some 6kg rims and save heaps of weight (rotating mass is worth 6-10 times sprung mass)

tinto

bitch please
Car(s)
2009 Pirelli GTI
What's the BMI of the Deka?:wink:

My poverty pack 08 GT came with the felt battery box - are you using a standard battery clamp to hold that one in place?

I know scrutineers are really anal about loose batteries, so I'd like it to be nice and tight.

LI_HXC_VR6

xstartxtodayx
Car(s)
04 B6 A4 avant
What's the difference between this and a Braille (sp?) battery? (or are they the same?) I know the Braille ones have been around for some time and are much lighter than a standard car battery yet work just the same.

KJIV

Ready to race!
Can this small battery handle the current from a full size cars alternator? From what I've read in the past, these batteries don't usually make it a full year.

POLARBEAR666

Ready to race!
Braille is lighter but also about $100 more expensive and the weight difference between the Braille that is similar power output to this one is like 7kg versus mine which is 8.2kg.. so I didn't bother.

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
I know scrutineers are really anal about loose batteries, so I'd like it to be nice and tight.

That sentance is just so, so wrong.

POLARBEAR666

Ready to race!
We shall see how long this battery lasts... If it dies, then I will try a Braille after all. Anyhow....... I like to go to a new frontier for GT's.

EDIT!!!! just read on a few spots on the web that BRailles are possibly rebaged Deka's anyway. Carbon skin instead of the Deka skin.

KJIV

Ready to race!
We shall see how long this battery lasts... If it dies, then I will try a Braille after all. Anyhow....... I like to go to a new frontier for GT's.

EDIT!!!! just read on a few spots on the web that BRailles are possibly rebaged Deka's anyway. Carbon skin instead of the Deka skin.

Yes, I'm 100% certain they are the same batteries, and the brailles fail all the time too!