GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Test drove a MKV GTI, got a few questions

Stricken

Hey all :smile: Looking at GTI's and I got to test drive one today and really like it. Have two questions though.

1) Does one NEED to fill it with premium? Or do any of you use plus or even regular? Not really a problem, just asking anyway.

2) I stalled it twice while driving (first stick car). And when I started it I heard this real loud fan-like noise coming from possibly the glove box area of the dash? The sound only stays on for a little bit before completely stopping. The frequency/tone of this noise also increases (or goes higher) with the revs (as I notice pulling away from a red light after my 2nd stall). When the gent pulled the car out from the lot, I was right next to him as I heard him start it and didn't hear anything like that from outside the vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any input

Hey all :smile: Looking at GTI's and I got to test drive one today and really like it. Have two questions though.

1) Does one NEED to fill it with premium? Or do any of you use plus or even regular? Not really a problem, just asking anyway.

2) I stalled it twice while driving (first stick car). And when I started it I heard this real loud fan-like noise coming from possibly the glove box area of the dash? The sound only stays on for a little bit before completely stopping. The frequency/tone of this noise also increases (or goes higher) with the revs (as I notice pulling away from a red light after my 2nd stall). When the gent pulled the car out from the lot, I was right next to him as I heard him start it and didn't hear anything like that from outside the vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any input

1: Yes. That sticker is on the filler door for a reason. You can actually put regular in it, but it will retard the timing to compensate, and you will have poorer performance, and your miles per dollar will probably be the same.

2: Sounds like what I understand to be the output of the "noise pipe" - it had already been removed from mine when i bought it.

Stricken

So assuming that noise IS what you're thinking of, it's not a problem to be afraid of?

I would try to look it up on youtube to see if I can find an accurate representation of it but I went straight to work after going to this dealer. And the youtubes are blocked here. I can try later tonight.

yeah i have no clear idea what the noisemaker sounds like because i've never been in a mk5 that still had one. *shrug*

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
The noise is more likely the fuel line rattling in fire wall. Common issue. And yes to 91 or 93

Stricken

Well, we found a 06 with about 84K on it for about 10 grand. I got to test drive it today and fell in love :wub:

Stricken

Appreciate it man :thumbup: it looked pretty clean. Decent rubber. Only wear was on the radio dials and such. Everything felt right about it.

zecgti

IDGAF
please get the camfollower checked before you make any decisions..just do a wuick search on the cam follower issue for the FSI engine (years 06-7.5)
the LAST thing you want is to buy the car THEN find out the follower is shot along with the lobe on the intake cam

Stricken

Well if looks like I might not be getting that car anyway. It was about an hour drive out, and if we had any problems (like posted above) it wouldn't be possible to get it back. Plus, not the best customer service. Looks like I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for more. The next one I might be looking is an 07.

MDBluesfan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 CW GTI
If you can get into an 09 (or some 08s) with the TSI engine instead of the FSI (check the engine cover), you can avoid a few of the common GTI headaches (cam follower, DV, etc...)

But none of the FSI issues are deal breakers as long as they've been kept on top of.

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
Car(s)
08 GTI
^this. TSI is more reliable. I had to change my cam follower today on my FSI...