GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tempted to upgrade to MK6. Good Deal ?

Cabra

Ready to race!
After going to the dealer to get my oil changed, I got the itch to upgrade;

I currently have a 2007 DSG MKV w/ 91k miles. White, 4 Door, xenon (no other options)

Dealer is offering $7000 on a trade (car needs a few repairs)

They have a 2012 for $23,000. White, DSG, 4 Door, 7k miles, NAV, heated cloth seats, sunroof, xenon, LED's

Very tempting, but considering waiting for the MK7.

But by then my car will have over 100k miles which may hurt value.

-SnowMan-

Ready to race!
You could probably get 10k private sale.

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Trade used car for usedcar times 3 the price. Ummmmmm no.

Muahaahaa

nip deep in pow
Trade used car for usedcar times 3 the price. Ummmmmm no.

This.

Keep yours and pay it off. Payments suck.

91k is not really that many miles if you take care of the car. Plus, you'll theoretically have $14,000 extra to maintain it or mod it.

tylerandreas

Banned
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
Depends on amount that you owe on your car, I would private sell. Make an easy 2-3k more. Then talk the dealer down to 22k. I think that's a good deal. The mk6 I practically new still. Plus it has sweet options. I'd consider it depending on my financial state.

Cabra

Ready to race!
My car is paid for, so maybe better to just sell for about 10k (Im guessing I could at least get 10k)
Now they are offering me $8k for the trade (still $23k for the MK6).
Also, the MK6 is certified (2 years extra on top of the 4 year factory warranty)

Dougalicious

DON'T. SELL.

Was that subtle enough? Seriously, there's no reason to get rid of a car that is working just fine and especially to have to start making payments. Hell if you were going to do that just buy a used A3 so at least it's an appreciable upgrade. You're so much better off just investing that amount that your car would depreciate plus however much you'd be making for monthly payments on that and then use the earning off that to help pay for a MKVII in a couple years. If this is horribly convoluted and run-on I apologize I went to bed late and woke early to study.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Don't do it. You could wait 6 months and get an R for that price.

lightningjack

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
09 GTI
Pretty sure once you hit 100k miles the dealers have to wholesale the car out, so you would def get less on a trade in. That said, keep your car unless it's becoming a money pit. No car note FTW.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Something to consider is this:

Once your high-miles car starts costing a grand or two in repairs per year, and similar amounts for scheduled maintenance (timing belt service, anyone? valve cleaning, shocks/ struts, etc.) that averages out to pretty close to the cost of a monthly payment on a newer car that will be nicer, quieter, and won't have reliability issues tying you up.

There's a lot to be said for no payments. There's something to be said for fewer headaches and spending a couple hunny a month on something new and nice, instead of no payment one month, then a $800 repair a month and a half later, then a new set of shocks and struts for a grand, then a free month, then a sunroof repair...on a car that's worn and smells like old feet. If you aren't putting a lot of miles on the car and it is reliable, perhaps the best (at least, cheapest) thing to do is keep it, but as soon as average monthly repair/ maintenance costs approach the cost of a payment, then it's time to bail.

I'm in a similar quandary. I love my GTI. I bought it new in 2008 and now it has tons of mods and has 117k miles on it. I'm 2 payments away from owning it but at the same time, its value is plummeting with the high miles, and I worry that a modded, bigger-turbo'd high mile motor might not last indefinitely. Yet the car runs great and feels pretty new. If it had 50k fewer miles I'd feel a lot better about keeping the car for a long time, but with the high miles and while it has a bit of value left in trade, I'm also considering trading for something newer. It's a tough decision, for sure. Good luck with it, OP.