GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Techtonic Downpipe Only?

mel22b

Ready to race!
Just wondering if anyone is running the Techtonic downpipe with the stock cat back. If so, is there still a sufficient HP/TQ gain to make it worth the cost and labour? Also if anyone had some sound files of it, please pass em on.

Yes, I am trying to get more power with little noise.

Thanks in advance.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
The Cat is incorporated into the Downpipe... it does not come separate. There is a noticable gain in response. The sound seems the same... until you get on it (more throatier... a deeper tone).

Can't do a sound file. Work is got me swamped.

http://techtonicstuning.com/showcategories.asp?catid=10

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
The OP was asking about the catback, not the catalytic converter. Yes the TT DP does come with a high flow cat and yes if you go stage 2 you will get a noticeable gain in power. Like said above, you will likely only hear a difference in noise level on WOT, especially since the pipe is only 2.5'' and not 3''. I'm looking to do the same thing with just a DP at first although I'm leaning toward AWE.

Dave1078

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
One thing I do know is you'll hear the DSG burp more often, but only have a slight gain in exhaust noise. There's a thread on the 'tex about a guy with a 2.0t A3 that went with the AWE catted DP to stock cat back and hosted a video. Wasn't loud at all.

mel22b

Ready to race!
I have already got the information on the downpipe and am wondering if, from your experience, you feel the performance gains are worth the cost and the effort of the install.
My understanding is that since there is a cat in the downpipe it will not throw a CEL and therefore stage 2 APR is not needed. I was under the impression that the only difference in stage 1 and 2 is that it turns off the CEL that comes on from removing the cat.

Dave1078

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I have already got the information on the downpipe and am wondering if, from your experience, you feel the performance gains are worth the cost and the effort of the install.
My understanding is that since there is a cat in the downpipe it will not throw a CEL and therefore stage 2 APR is not needed. I was under the impression that the only difference in stage 1 and 2 is that it turns off the CEL that comes on from removing the cat.

You will feel a performance gain. The stock downpipe is the real bottleneck of the exhaust system. AFAIK, APR stage 2 also has a different tune, which includes higher boost levels over stage 1. I would recommend that if you are running an APR tune right now, to get stage 2 done.

Aside from the APR flash, it's possible to throw a CEL for a lower quality cat too. I haven't seen any reviews about the TT DP. Only that AWE and Neuspeed DPs will not throw a CEL so far.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
^^
x2

mel22b

Ready to race!
I guess any of the downpipes with the cat in them would work. From what I have read the 3" DP show performance gains but I this may be because they have no cats. So I was just wondering if going with a highflow cat 2.5" DP was going to be worth the effort.
I like the idea that it would be quieter than a 3" no cat and that I should be able to pass aircare.

Dave1078

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I guess any of the downpipes with the cat in them would work. From what I have read the 3" DP show performance gains but I this may be because they have no cats. So I was just wondering if going with a highflow cat 2.5" DP was going to be worth the effort.
I like the idea that it would be quieter than a 3" no cat and that I should be able to pass aircare.

Well, if you take a look at how small the stock turbo is, you'll see how you will be just fine with 2.5". :biggrin: fwiw running catless will be a big factor with increased noise and fumes. You can run a 3" DP catted or catless, but you'll just have to get one that either comes with an adapter to taper down to stock diameter or have a muffler shop do some custom work.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
There are 3'' dp's with cats, such as APR. I think ATP is the only catless dp. None of these downpipe's are technically legal and they may or may not pass "aircare" which I'm assuming is emissions. If you're planning on ever upgrading your turbo, which most people are not, then get a 3''. Otherwise a 2.5'' DP is the way to go.