GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tachometer reading does not match AP Reading

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
When I blip the throttle, the tach reads higher than the engine speed on my AP. I trust the AP (based on how the car sounds I can tell it's more accurate). What would cause my tach to read higher than the AP, sometimes by as much as 1,000 rpm? When I blip quickly, it happens more frequently, than when I put the gas pedal in a more gradual way. The idle reading is accurate, only when blipping it's off I think.

I have a SMF so, not sure if that matters

Last edited:

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I don’t have any data to back this up but just based off of sound, I think the tach gauge flies up higher than the revs actually are sometimes. when I pretend to drag race at a light and do a bunch of revs the tach kind of flies all over the place. doesn’t seem to match the sound the engine is making. so I would not trust it 100%.

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
I don’t have any data to back this up but just based off of sound, I think the tach gauge flies up higher than the revs actually are sometimes. when I pretend to drag race at a light and do a bunch of revs the tach kind of flies all over the place. doesn’t seem to match the sound the engine is making. so I would not trust it 100%.
What mods do u have

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I think its normal, my old MK5's tach would not jump so high I think when I would blip on neutral... with this MK7 I instantly noticed it would jump way higher but the sound was similar...

It didnt make a difference when it was stock and after I got an EQT stage 2 protune.... I wouldn't worry about it, but I am now curious, I may compare it with what the AP says one day...