GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension noise when turning at low speed

Maximum6

FASTER
I have my HR RSS coilovers, and since I had them they had this noise to them like the spring was popping or some part of the suspension was popping with a metallic noise. This noise only occurs in the front and it is during low less than 10mph speed turns usually turning the steering wheel a lot in order to make a U turn. I think I can even hear my steering wheel click a little with it.

There are no noise what so ever when doing anything else, even going over speed bumps, no noise.

woweriux

Shifts first, asks later
I had a similar problem like that and the cause was subframe bolts that needed to be tightened down more as well as the front swaybar endlinks. I could feel the metallic pop through the steering wheel and the pedals, but once i tightened it (bought new screws to make sure too) everything is silent. Might worth a shot for you too.

Maximum6

FASTER
My car has strange noises now, and the noise sounds like the spring or suspension metal creaking. I thought it was the new coilovers. However, I think it may be something else, because the noise doesn't appear to happen when I'M NOT TURNING the steering wheel. If I hold the steering wheel still full lock left or right, there is no noise when car is moving. However if I actively move the steering wheel, I can replicate this sound. I can also replicate this sound when turning the steering wheel when the car is not moving. Does anybody know what it could be? I can hear a little clicking on the steering column as well.

08EmKayFive

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 gti
I was thinking maybe your strut mounts are bad?

tjlilman

Passed Driver's Ed
Adjust the height a little bit? i had a similar problem after my install but the driver side was slightly higher then the passenger. I'm guessing it was the swaybar. I spun the coils all the way down and solved the problem.

fikshunn

Passed Driver's Ed
Put the car on jackstands and have someone turn the steering wheel again while you pinpoint the noise (if it even happens with no load). I'm guessing bearings (bearing plates, for camber plates?) or endlinks

grogane

Car(s)
MK5GTI
Knocking Noise from back left and now a whining noise from passenger front

Well as it says in the title, two noises coming from the car - any ideas, suggestions are welcomed - really irritating. Recent full service a month ago and i was told i needed two front bushings, not sure if inner or outer. Charging me 250 euros so had another mechanic look and he said they didn't need replacing. just put some new pilot sport 3s on and would like to get the car squared off. Someone suggested wheel bearings, its not that bad and only happens occasionally.

The whinning only started two days ago and i am sure they are not related to the knocking noise from the back left. The whine appears to start and stop at random, pretty sure its not the steering pump? Any advice is much appreciated.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
buckling noises at parking lot speeds after suspension work is often strut mounts or bearing not installed correctly. It can happen even with new stuff. I got new strut bushings, bearing from one of our vendors and one was bad.

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
with concern to the front suspension noise, I have the same exact thing going on. With mine it's only coming from the right side. First thoughts were strut mounts and bearings. Noise is the same and actually louder. I was able to get the noise replicated with the suspension unloaded as well. Disconnected the end link. Noise still there. Disconnected the tie-rod end. Noise still there. Oh and I had the axle out to fix a torn CV boot but since I don't know how long the joint had been open to getting moisture I decided to replace the axle. Noise was still there with the axle even removed. So basically I've dialed the noise down to rotating parts. Either the brand new 034 mounts with factory bearing or the ball joint. So I replaced the ball joint. Noise is still there. I am out of ideas on what the noise could be caused by. The only thing I haven't replaced or had rebuilt are my KW V2's which I can't rationalize the noise actually coming from those. I hope I can maybe figure it out when I get home for the holidays but that's going to have to wait til next week...

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Could be wheel bearings too...just throwing that out there. But that noise would be faint and then get louder with increased speed.

BUT it also could be the coilovers. It's pretty common with the KW's/ST's/SHS's....so if it's this sound (almost a clunking noise):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwlv6bSInNg

Then it's the coilover strut itself (not filled properly)....had the issue with my SHS's (made by KW), and a lot of guys with ST's (made by KW as well) have had it

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
Yeah snobrdrdan, I'd say mine is similar but not quite the same. I only say that because mine doesn't make any noise going straight or over rough roads/bumps... But I'm going to be giving the strut rebuild a shot for sure.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Just noticed this....do you mean the original strut bearing OR brand new factory strut bearings???

If you didn't use new strut bearings....there's your culprit

Even if he did use new one it could be the culprit, exactly what happened to me. Bought new strut bearings and bushing from one of our vendors. One failed after install causing the buckling noise only heard at parking lot speeds. I put new strut bearings/bushing purchased from the VW dealer and problem was gone.