GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

superunleaded or normal

earthtoandy

Touring Car Champion
youre also talking about better gas mileage with higher octane, especially in the gti with its fsi engine.

Why buy a GTI if you are gonna rob it of power? Just buy a Golf/Rabbit if thats the case.

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
The car was made to run on low octane fuel if thats all that is available. The owners manual says check on the fuel door. My fuel door sticker says 91 min, or premium unleaded.

earthtoandy

Touring Car Champion
any car nowadyas is made to retard timing if the fuel is low grade. but that doesnt mean that is good (for the engine or otherwise). You wont hurt it once or twice here and there but as rule using low grade in my opinion is bad.

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
LOL. This difference in measurements is annoying.

91 Octane(US) is 95 RON. That is minimum recommended.

earthtoandy said:
any car nowadyas is made to retard timing if the fuel is low grade. but that doesnt mean that is good (for the engine or otherwise). You wont hurt it once or twice here and there but as rule using low grade in my opinion is bad.

Yes, that is true though. One thing I know is that Toyota makes the best O2 sensors. One guy ran about 200k km on his Lexus SC 430. After that, he took out his engine and examined it. Found that using 87 octane (91 RON) didn't affect his engine at all. No pinging or knocking. He used 87 since day one.
HOWEVER, I have heard that Honda's engines are rubbish when it comes to lower octane fuel.

Last edited:

Dr. Woo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW .:R32
An extra couple of bucks at the gas station is worth it to me for peace of mine and extra performance.

coolme187

Touring Car Champion
91 MINIMUM. And brand name gas does matter. I ran a bigturbo setup on my old passat and one day I got Sheetz 93 gas. Right after I filled up, the car hesitated to crank, but it did. The next morning, I started the car up, CEL came on and the car was running on two cylinders. Drained the gas, put some race gas in temporarily, and filled up with BP 93. Car ran fine after that. Even stock, I wouldnt run anything under 91. Running lower octane gas has a bigger effect on turbocharged cars rather than NA cars.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
earthtoandy said:

Please explain. The knock sensors listen for pre-detonation and revised the timing. All in the blink of an eye. The thing that will damage the engine never even happens.

No matter if a turbo or non-turbo engine.

What possible damage will be caused to a stock engine with any commercially available auto fuel?

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
combicol said:
I HAVE HAD MY GTI SINCE JULY LAST YEAR AND WAS ADVISED TO USE SUPERUNLEADED, IWAS WONDERING WHAT OTHER OWNERS WAS PUTTING IN THEIR CARS. THEIR IS ONLY A COUPLE OF GARAGES THAT SELL SUPER NEAR ME AND IS ABOUT SIX PENCE MORE A LITRE THAN NORMAL. IWOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS BETWEEN THE TWO AS IT CAN NOT HELP MPG AS I AM ONLY GETTING ABOUT 26 MPG.

Please take CAPS LOCK off!

Thanks!:thumbsup:

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
I am not sure the specifics, but gas companies in N. America and Europe use different methods of attaining the Octane numbers (hence the bigger number availability and owners manual requirements in Europe).

I own a motorcycle chassis dyno (Dynojet 200) and I have done fuel comparisons in the past. The big difference in fuels that you have no control over, other than weather you buy it or not, is ethanol/ethanol blended gas. I never got as good numbers as this fuel doesn't contain as much potential energy. I can't remember the specifics as to why, maybe one of the members in the petroleum industry can shed some light on this.

Anyway, what you can control is to buy your gas from a busy station as their tanks will be emptied more often providing fresher fuel. Yes it does make a difference. If you have ever opened a bloated gas can and had it hiss as you open it, that is all the high end volatiles (read: the "premium" part of the fuel) checking out. You then have mid grade or worse. put that stuff in your lawn mower.

Unless of course you milled the deck and flowed the head, did a three angle valve job and bored the carb on your mower, but nobody else has done that, right?

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Oh yea, I forgot. I think part of the reason they call for Premium is that it produces a cleaner burn and with all the sensors in engines these days you want as few by-products of incomplete combustion as is possible so as not to foul the sensors. And then there is all that hooha about some kind of environment thing....

GTI lover all over again

Over fifty and lov'n it!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
bigdyno said:
I am not sure the specifics, but gas companies in N. America and Europe use different methods of attaining the Octane numbers (hence the bigger number availability and owners manual requirements in Europe).

I own a motorcycle chassis dyno (Dynojet 200) and I have done fuel comparisons in the past. The big difference in fuels that you have no control over, other than weather you buy it or not, is ethanol/ethanol blended gas. I never got as good numbers as this fuel doesn't contain as much potential energy. I can't remember the specifics as to why, maybe one of the members in the petroleum industry can shed some light on this.

Anyway, what you can control is to buy your gas from a busy station as their tanks will be emptied more often providing fresher fuel. Yes it does make a difference. If you have ever opened a bloated gas can and had it hiss as you open it, that is all the high end volatiles (read: the "premium" part of the fuel) checking out. You then have mid grade or worse. put that stuff in your lawn mower.

Unless of course you milled the deck and flowed the head, did a three angle valve job and bored the carb on your mower, but nobody else has done that, right?

OK, I'll bite

Propane has about an octane of 110 when used in blending, Butane has about a 107 octane for blending, as you get heavier in hydrocarbons, the octane gets less, but the amount of energy increases. then there is the branch Hydrocarbon stuff, (this post is too short to get into! :barf: )

Diesels get better gas mileage because it's a denser fuel, it has more energy per kilo, but the octane is lower, for diesels you blend on cetane, anyway

Ethanol, is supposed to be better for the environment because it is an oxygenator, i.e. it has oxygen in the chemical formula, and therefore relys less on the combustion chamber mixing properties to enhance combustion, top fuel dragsters would use alchohol!, more oxygenates, burns cleaner, more octane, burns faster as well, so you can rev the engine faster, that is also an issue, most diesels are limited in rpm, because of the flame velocity, that is sometime over come with better mixing with the injection assembly.

that stuff pissing out of your fuel can is based on the vapour pressure, it is based on the time of year you buy the gas. In winter you have a higher vapour pressure, and consequently the gasoline has more butane blended in the gas to increase the vapour pressure of the cold fuel. If you buy gas in the winter, and save it for the summer, you'll vapour lock most cars, as the butane will try to escape into the vapour phase (engineer speak:bow: ).

summer blend gas has the lowest amount of butane in the blend, and therefore has to make the octane for high blended gas from denser blending stock, typically from alkylates and reformates, iso octanes etc. (read more expensive to make):thumbsup:

so ethanol gas burns faster, but because it's a less dense blend of gas, it has less energy per kilo, and therefore gives lower gas mileage.

What is debated by many is whether the benefits of the ethanol blend out weighs the increase in fuel consumption:eyebulge:

We don't have to worry, because our GTI's don't like too much ethanol blend in our gas!:thumbup: