GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock Engine wear vs APR Tuned Engine wear

nickygym

Ready to race!
I have been thinking about getting APR 1, however I full out floored my car for the first time today and it was plenty fast enough. So I have one question:
Does a floored GTI stock engine wear faster/equal to/or less than a floored APR 1 tuned engine?

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Will there be more wear and tear, yes.
Will it drastically reduce the lifespan of your car, no.

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
If the car is fast enough for you as it is dont do it, or at least dont do it yet, Stage 1 is a good bump in power and i dont really think it would be that bad on the engine.

BAMF

Ready to race!
APR is a bit more on the conservative side than some of the other tunes, and is likely going to be a safer bet for the longevity of your engine. I've got 115,xxx miles on my FSI, APR Stage 2 since 17,xxx. Not a single problem with it.

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Stage 1 blew my mind as to what VW was not giving us in a stock GTI... Get it, you can always leave it in stock tune until you wanna play, but it's almost garrenteed that you'll enjoy stage 1 too much to turn off.

I'm stage 2.... Stock clutch could NOT hold the torque so had to upgrade...

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Here we go again. If you're worried to the point where you feel the need to ask on a forum, then you're definitely not a good candidate for a tune.

To me, the stock performance sucks.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
Stage 1 software is a must have for any 2.0TFSI/TSI. With power and torque increases throughout the entire rev range and very smooth power delivery, Stage 1 gives the engine the performance it should have had when originally released. Driving a Stage 1 really puts into perspective how much potential the standard car has. (copied)

Also, I suggest taking Dm in consideration when you think about tunning

Dm
Driver Motorsport‘s Mk5 GTI Tuning experience and expertise allows us to confidently provide an ECU Software Upgrade that brings in gains of 37 Horsepower and 84 ft-lb of torque measured at the wheels. Driver Motorsport was able to deliver massive torque increases that transition into smooth top end power giving the driver more confidence. Driver Motorsport improves fuel economy by increasing the efficiency of the engine during light acceleration and cruising conditions.
http://drivermotorsport.com/mk5-gti-k04/

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Oil changes and checking the level are more important to longevity than any reputable tune. FSI motors eat oil apparently.