GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Springs vs. coilovers

Mayday5

Ready to race!
I have an '08 GTI and want to get it lowered a bit. At first I thought it was low enough since it is at a different ride height compared to earlier models. But I would like it lowered just a bit but nothing too drastic. I want it to look sharp.
I have done a lot of searching and am wanting to know if I would be okay using springs rather than coilovers. I don't really want to change the ride quality or suspension too much. I'm a bit confused on the different between the two. I know coilovers are more of changing suspension and it seems like springs are more for looks. But does getting springs have any major downsides or do they add more stress to the current suspension? I'm really just interested in lowering it a bit to add a more aggressive look but want to keep current ride quality and handling without adding stress to the rest of the suspension. I also don't want to pay $700 for coils lol. Let me know your thoughts, thanks all.

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
...I also don't want to pay $700 for coils lol. Let me know your thoughts, thanks all.

700 is not much money for coils, but gets a decent set (new).

You would be good to go with VW Driver Gear springs.

Do some searching. They can be used with stock dampers. Looks sharp and does not screw up suspension geometry.

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
You can go low with just springs. Just a little drop though or you run the risk of blowing out the stock shocks.

Go with a spring/shock combo. Check the technical section/wheels and tires to read about people's preferred spring/shock combo.

Coil-overs are nice because you can adjust your ride height, but going with the sprig/shocks you'll save some dough at checkout.

Tempted2Speed

is cooler than you
Car(s)
2007 GTI CW 6MT
It seems a spring/shock combo or just springs would be good for you. I first had coils but I know have eibach sprotline springs and it works good for me. I have the drop and want and I dint have to cringe when I take a turn. With a spring/shock combo you'll still be looking at around 700$ but you can also just go with springs for now unless your paying for install then it would be better to do them all at once

Many people might say you'll blow the stock shocks real quick but I've known many that have been dropped 2 inches for years and no problems.

jmejiaa

Go Kart Champion
I say if you have the money go with coils.

I for one don't need a very low car, nor do I want it. It is my daily driver and I'd like some level of comfort.

That being said, if you buy springs and you think you want .5 inches more of a drop you are screwed. With coils you can play with it to your liking.

Squish_GTI

Ball till I fall
Car(s)
MkV GTI
I say if you have the money go with coils.

I for one don't need a very low car, nor do I want it. It is my daily driver and I'd like some level of comfort.

That being said, if you buy springs and you think you want .5 inches more of a drop you are screwed. With coils you can play with it to your liking.

I have NEUSPEED sport springs (not race springs) and it gave me about a 2" drop all around once it settled. I've been driving 40,000km on them and the ride quality is so much better than stock. Handling is 5 times better as well. Not to mention the car looks about 100 times better when lowered.

In about a year or so I'll get some good shocks, either Koni or Bilstein with dampers to complement the springs.

Mayday5

Ready to race!
does lowering the car always mess with the headlight leveling system though? I think I have read on here that it does but does this always happen?

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
^yes but it can be adjusted. I had mine adjusted at the dealership with no problem after I had them do an alignment which should always be done after chaging out springs.

jmejiaa

Go Kart Champion
I have NEUSPEED sport springs (not race springs) and it gave me about a 2" drop all around once it settled. I've been driving 40,000km on them and the ride quality is so much better than stock. Handling is 5 times better as well. Not to mention the car looks about 100 times better when lowered.

In about a year or so I'll get some good shocks, either Koni or Bilstein with dampers to complement the springs.

Are you on stock struts?

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
All things considered you should find a pic of how low you want it to be... post it... and we can help you get there.

Squish_GTI

Ball till I fall
Car(s)
MkV GTI
does lowering the car always mess with the headlight leveling system though? I think I have read on here that it does but does this always happen?

Yup, it will mess with the headlights. There are screws under the hood that you can use to re-adjust your headlights back to normal. Takes like 10 min.

Are you on stock struts?

Yup. Stock struts/shocks. I was afraid of the drop but haven't experienced one issue yet and the car performs and handles so much better with better comfortability.. now that's great engineering :thumbsup:

tehwhiteegg

White Egg
Car(s)
2006 mkv gti
If your gonna invest in coils why not just get a nice set of new $1,200 ones. If your gonna spend the money in the first place, why not spend it the right way?

tehwhiteegg

White Egg
Car(s)
2006 mkv gti
Either that or just VAG it. From what I've been told I'm pretty sure that your can mess with the headlight leveling system. Mine was taking a huge random dive as well and there's no reason to go to the dealer (get charged form something you can have done for free).