GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So you want to do a track event, eh? Start here.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
I've seen a bunch of posts in the past few days about people wanting to do track events. This is great, I love seeing other MKV's on the track and I'd be glad to help (no doubt as would a bunch of others who frequent this section).

Let me start off with some basics. Track days are usually called HPDEs- High Performance Driving Events/Education. They are also sometimes called DEs for short. Your typical event will be two days long.

"Where do I get Started?"

Where can I do a track event?
The first thing to do is to look around and see what track are close to you. I suggest to start looking at www.Trackpedia.com for tracks in your area. Remember, unless you are very close to a particluar track, you will probably not want to drive long distances home between days. This means that you will have to find a hotel in the area to stay in for at least one night. Most events are held on the weekends. I usually get out of work/school early and drive to the track which usually takes between 2-6 hours depending on which track it is. I'll stay at a hotel in the area on Friday and Saturday night and then drive home after the event ends on Sunday.

How do I find track events in my area?
Most track don't have track days open to the public. Most track days are organized and held by clubs. The best way to find an event to go to is to check out the schedules of performance driving and racing clubs. Here is a list of the ones I attend or have heard of. There are many more and I invite other members from other areas of the country to help me add to this list:

National Auto Sport Association (NASA): www.nasaproracing.com
TrackDaze: www.trackdaze.com
Porsche Bimmer Club of Orange County (PBOC FL): www.pbocflorida.com
Chin Motorsports: www.chinmotorsports.com
Performance Driver's Association (PDA): http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/
BMW Car Club of America (BMWCCA): http://www.bmwcca.org/
MVP Track Time: http://www.mvptracktime.com/
Hooked on Driving (HOD): Hookedondriving.com
Sports Car Driving Association: www.SCDA1.com
Speed Ventures: http://www.speedventures.com

Click on these links and look for each of these club's schedules. NASA has regional sites that can be accessed through the drop-down menu on the main page. Go to your home region (or any region you don't mind traveling to) and look for that region's schedule. You'll see that each of these clubs runs at least one event per month and that most are on weekends. Look for events that are at tracks that are close to you or that you wouldn't mind driving to and fit you schedule.

How do I register for an event?
Each club has different procedures and rules. Some clubs will charge you an annual or a one-time membership fee (usually <$50) in order for you to register. Once the registration for the event(s) you wish to attend open, follow the instructions listed on the site to register.

What will it cost?
Most entry fees will be between $300-400 per weekend. This price includes your entry, classroom time, and intructor.

However, entry fee is not the only thing to plan for. Keep in mind that you will probably need a hotel for 2 nights, gas (about a tank per day plus the gas to get to/from the track), and food.

I make a seasonal budget every 6 months or so and line up which events I want to go to and how much they'll cost in total. I usually budget around $750 per event when everything's said and done.

What do I need to make my car trackable?
You don't need much. Most cars that are safe enough to drive on the street are safe enough to take on track. All clubs require you to get your car inspected by a qualified shop before allowing you on track. They will give you a tech inspection form to have the shop or mechanic fill out that usually covers things such as:

-tires: do they have sufficient life left in them? are they dry-rotted or cracked?
-fluids: are all fluids at the proper levels? are there any leaks?
-brakes: do the pads have enough thickness left? has the fluid been bled recently? is the fluid boiled or wet?
-seatbelts: are factory seatbelts in good condition? are they torn or missing?
-battery: is it securely fastened? is there anything else loose in the engine bay?
-suspension: is everything in proper condition? are there any signs of damage or wear?

Here is a typical inspection sheet (this one is from PBOC): http://www.pbocflorida.com/PBOC_TECH_INSPECTION_SHEET.pdf

Basically, you do not need to do much to your car to get it on track. Just make sure your car meets this criteria and you will be fine. No rollcage, big brake kit, sticky tires, coilovers, or big turbo needed.

What else will I need? Do I need a helmet?
This list is borrowed from TrackDaze:

-A helmet SA2000/M2000 or higher rating *
-long sleeve shirt and long pants
-Hats
-Sunglasses
-Suntan lotion
-Nonalcoholic beverages
-Rain gear (if you bring it, then it won't rain)
-Chairs
-A tarp or other ground covering (to set up camp on, and to store the things you remove from your car before driving on the track)
-A camera and/or video camera - if you want pictures
-A Friend/Crew Member

You will need to bring your own helmet. There is a lot of discussion about helmets and what type will do best. If you are looking to buy your own, start by reading this thread: http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70090&highlight=helmet

I have included a packing list that I use when going to the track. You DO NOT need everything I have on my list, I'm just adding it as an example.

What will the format be?
Most clubs run a very similar format. You will have 4 sessions per day (2 before lunch and 2 after), each between 20 and 30 minutes long. You will have a classroom meeting before your first on-track session and at least one more later in the day. All beginners in every club will be assigned an instructor who will ride shotgun with you during your sessions. These instructors may even drive your car (if you allow them) around the track to show you the line that they would like you to follow. Passing in these events is done in a controlled manner; only on the straights designated by the club and only with a point-by from the driver being passed. Don't worry, this will all be covered in the classroom and in the driver's meeting at the beginning of each day.

How can I prepare for an event?
Go online and find some in-car video at the track you're going to. Try to visualize what the track looks like and start to try to learn the general shape of each corner and where it is on the track. Having a track map next to you while watching the video will be a great help. Also, review the flags and their meanings. Most clubs will send you a confirmation packet that will include a schedule, a track map, a rule book, and a description of the flags. Here is the flag description from TrackDaze: https://www.trackdaze.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=66

That should be enough information to get you started. This is just a rough outline so far and I ask other members here to give me a hand by posting anything I may have forgotten, not been clear about, or just plain wrong about. I will update this post later on and address some suggestions I have regarding brake pads and tires, but these will not be required items to enjoy a track day.

Brakes
http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1395636#post1395636

Attachments

• HPDE List.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,050
Last edited:

Sayemthree

Ready to race!
don't forget BMW CCA - they welcome all marques. they have some of the best instructional programs on the west coast.

google: BMW CCA LA chapter
golden gate chapter, san diego chapter and central coast BMW CCA chapter.
have fun!!!

leegf

(OO=[][]=OO)
about the bmwcca. some chapters require cca membership ($40 iirc), others require chapter membership (varies, but i think bmw cca cvc was $15), and still others require both. these fees/dues are sometimes not made apparent up front, so something to keep in mind.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
Alright, I added that information. As far as I know, PDA piggybacks it's events with NASA NE, but I added them as their own entity anyway.

I have a packing list that I'll attach to the first post later on that has all the stuff I bring to the track (clothes, tools, gear, etc.)

Sayemthree

Ready to race!
about the bmwcca. some chapters require cca membership ($40 iirc), others require chapter membership (varies, but i think bmw cca cvc was $15), and still others require both. these fees/dues are sometimes not made apparent up front, so something to keep in mind.

true - most require membership - but the Roundel magazine is well worth the $35. and you can enter thier raffle - I won an M Roadster in 1998!!!!!

svt2mkv

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 Jetta
true - most require membership - but the Roundel magazine is well worth the $35. and you can enter thier raffle - I won an M Roadster in 1998!!!!!

M Roadsters are awesome.:wub:

Pictures or it didn't happen!:biggrin: :biggrin:

brian8smith

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 4DR BMP GTI
Thank you for spelling everything out. This is very useful for someone, like me, who is looking to do some HPDEs for the first time

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
I know what it's like. I was very confused before doing my first one and I had to look around to find bits of info here and there. Even at the event I was still a bit lost, but it was fun nonetheless and it got me hooked.