GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So my Buyback Offer just arrived, time to get serious about what to buy...

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Looking for your input/thoughts on my next car to replace my TDI being bought back. I am kind of all over the place, so I am hoping some of you can compare some of these through experience and give me some insight :w00t:

My needs/wants: I have a budget in the neighborhood of $35k, new or used is irrelevant, though I don't want too old or high mileage. I do enough of that myself: I still drive ~125 miles a day round-trip so economy is high on my list. I would also prefer AWD for the winter commuting, though it isn't absolutely necessary (GTI is my current "if all else fails" fall back). Not overly concerned about sedan/hatchback/small SUV so any are on the table still. Lastly, I enjoy driving so I want something that isn't an appliance. It doesn't have to be a 600HP monster, but it can't be anemic or boring either... :D

What I am currently considering, in no particular order (will mostly depend on what I can find once my actual buyback appt is scheduled):

• Used Golf R (2013-2015)
  • 2014 BMW 328D xDrive sedan
  • 2013-2014 BMW 535D xDrive sedan
  • Fiat 500x (this is on there because kids... haven't driven one yet so may fall short of wants)
  • 2012-2014 Audi A6
  • New Tiguan
  • New Mazda CX-5 loaded

Comments/ideas/discussion? :23:

Saabstory

Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT

Funny. Biggest issue with an R is I love my sunroof... I am a sunroof guy; have it open ~360 days a year unless there is rain or snow. That pretty much means I am stuck in a 2012-2013, which is what I have now...

It is more powerful and has AWD; but otherwise there is no upgrade at all (which leads to my waffling back and forth on whether to do it) :laugh: :p

I'd love to get a 2015-2016 R (I've seen a few 16 Rs with DCC/Nav in my price range) but again; I am a sunroof guy...

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I hear ya, it's just hard for me to imagine myself driving anything other than a golf lol

...I've been driving a golf for at least 9 years now

Saabstory

Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Yeah, I've been in one of 3 for the last 7 years myself: R32, 09 GTI and 12 TDI. :thumbsup:

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Funny. Biggest issue with an R is I love my sunroof... I am a sunroof guy; have it open ~360 days a year unless there is rain or snow. That pretty much means I am stuck in a 2012-2013, which is what I have now...

Dang, I have a UV allergy and can't stand vehicles with sunroofs, yet all of the fully loaded ones come with a freaking sunroof. I can only enjoy them at night so I find them rather useless. :(

Saabstory

Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
^Perfectly understandable. You should buy a 2015 or 16 Golf R; you can't even get a sunroof in the model :D

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Hellcat. Do it.

WeekendWarriorz

Ready to race!
A used b8 S4 sounds like the perfect thing. AWD, quick, manual as an option, and has room for the kids.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
My mom just got a Subaru outback. That this is nice.
AWD and gets like 30 mpg on the highway. It has navigation, driver assist(blind spot monitoring, lane departure, vehicle traffic approach(it beeps if a car is coming when your backing up from a parking spot even if the camera cant see it).

It was a big improvement interior wise compared to the 2013 STI interior imo.

Oh and it has a sunroof.

Saabstory

Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Ford Focus RS is a touch above $35k. Might be worth the stretch if you can find one for MSRP.
Something to consider, but I'd need to test drive it. I tried a Focus Titanium before I bought the TDI and it was pretty bland interior-wise

Used B8/B8.5 A4? You can get them for stupid cheap now.
A used b8 S4 sounds like the perfect thing. AWD, quick, manual as an option, and has room for the kids.
A4 or S4 is certainly on the list, though I was mainly looking at A6s since I could get them with the 3.0 as well. I'll have a look for S4s though thanks.

What's wrong with a Chevy SS with a supercharger on it?
Basically nothing, except it gets ~18 mpg :D. I'd love one, but refueling 3-4 times a week would get pretty old pretty fast.

My mom just got a Subaru outback. That this is nice.
AWD and gets like 30 mpg on the highway. It has navigation, driver assist(blind spot monitoring, lane departure, vehicle traffic approach(it beeps if a car is coming when your backing up from a parking spot even if the camera cant see it).

It was a big improvement interior wise compared to the 2013 STI interior imo.

Oh and it has a sunroof.
Really not a fan of them; if I get a Subaru it would be a WRX or an STI :w00t:

Greywolf

Passed Driver's Ed
If you're looking to stay away from mundane, look past the 328 X-drive. Been driving BMW's for quite a while, and the newer 3 series leave much to be desired. Had a 2011 328i, and it was just eh. Very reliable though. The 535D is definitely a nice car, and the diesel has gobs of torque and decent mileage. Interior is also nice, but with electric steering, it has lost the feel of what BMW has been known for. Great road car though. The reason we have a 2009 550 rather than the newer bodied 5 series has a lot to do with how solid the car feels, and the fact we could still get a manual trans in it.
The Fiats have not had many favorable reviews, and reliability has been a problem. If you're looking for trendy, this would be it.
Golf R, A4/S4, A6 would all be decent purchases, and probably would be fairly fun. Focus ST is nice, but as you said, the interior feels cheap. I haven't driven a Mazda CX-5, but not a bad looking car, and they get decent reviews.
How many kids would you be lugging along? If you will use this car for any travel and have at least 2, get a smaller SUV. If it's mainly a commuter, get a sedan or compact as it will get you better mileage.
I think the S4 and the Golf R would be my choice, as they are well rounded vehicles that can give you a little of everything from driving enjoyment, AWD, and mileage.