GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Smoke from exhaust while going downhill

Tcobb720

Hey Guys. Im new to the forum. Hopefuly you guys can help me out! So a little background on my MK5 gti FSI. It has 132k miles, Intake, Catless Turbo Back Exhaust , and APR Stage 2 Tune.

So i've recently noticed a trend where when im going downhill, white-ish smoke comes out of my exhaust. Its quite embarassing hah :| Its smells like oil and im pretty sure it is oil but i need to know what is causing it. It goes away once im on level ground again.
My first instinct was turbo seal- With the up in boost because of the tune and just overall wear and tear since the car is 10 years old.
Theres No oil on our around the outside of the turbo. Valve cover gasket looks good. Not losing ANY coolant. No coolant in oil or vice versa so that pretty much eliminates head gasket. Any input/suggestions is apprecaited. Thanks!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Hey Guys. Im new to the forum. Hopefuly you guys can help me out! So a little background on my MK5 gti FSI. It has 132k miles, Intake, Catless Turbo Back Exhaust , and APR Stage 2 Tune.

So i've recently noticed a trend where when im going downhill, white-ish smoke comes out of my exhaust. Its quite embarassing hah :| Its smells like oil and im pretty sure it is oil but i need to know what is causing it. It goes away once im on level ground again.
My first instinct was turbo seal- With the up in boost because of the tune and just overall wear and tear since the car is 10 years old.
Theres No oil on our around the outside of the turbo. Valve cover gasket looks good. Not losing ANY coolant. No coolant in oil or vice versa so that pretty much eliminates head gasket. Any input/suggestions is apprecaited. Thanks!

I am assuming you mean that you are coasting downhill (pulling high vacuum). If that is the case my guess would be valve seals. Best thing to do is a compression test and a leak down test to start.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
You may just need replacing the seals but I would have the valve stem-to-guide tolerances checked. With 132k on it you may have too much play there as well.

If you have to remove the head...and you find any of the combustion chambers soaked with oil...you most likely need new rings...but hopefully you will not see this: