GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shifting

GTI N00b

Okay when I'm trying to get maximum accleration...between gears 2-6 shifting...should I just be shifting quickly and getting back on the gas as fast as possible...does this put more wear than normal driving on the clutch...(as in letting the revs slow to the next gears speed so the transition is smooth) Also when I do this fast shifting I hear a slight bang sound which I think is just the engine rocking on its mounts? is that correct? I also realize that for a good launch you don't just pop the clutch you want to ease it out due to traction issues with our FWD. I am trying to get this all straight in case I am doing something wrong. Also if anyone has any links to helpful videos or sites I would really appreciate it! Thanks.

Raphael

SKEET! SKEET! SKEET!
Car(s)
2011 Evolution X
the bang could be your wheels breaking loose and hopping or it could just be your mounts:iono:

Patchy

Ready to race!
I get it all the time when pulling the clutch out too quickly when tire speed and engine speeds are all different. To the extent of my experience it is the engine rocking violently on its mounts.

When up shifting quickly you want to make sure there isnt too much of a difference between RPM and speed. From first to second you have a bit more slack whereby you can over-rev and pull the clutch quite quickly and rather then your tranny copping all the stress, your wheels chirp/lose traction before they bite and you get a second semi-launch. However in higher gears if you over-rev too much and drop the clutch your not gonna get wheel spin (might with a chip though, this is all for a stock GTI) and what actually happends is your tranny is going to cop all the stress of an engine spinning too quickly (the momentum of pistons) for the speed your going. This will result in excess wear.

Probably more important when down shifting you want to match revs as much as you can. If your going down multiple gears in one shift (5th to 2nd) it may be wise to either pop it into 3rd before going into 2nd (to save your syncros) or double clutch. On top of that always try to rev match, it saves your tranny and engine mounts. We've all probably dropped the clutch when down shifting during our learning days and you will hear the same thump of your engine bring thrown about as the pistons instantly get prodded into moving faster.

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
Just know that gearing trumps the power band. Lot's of 2.0T guys (who were once 1.8T guys) will tell you it's best to shift around 6000rpm so you stay in the strong part of the power band. You should instead shift at red line (or right before fuel cut) to utilize all the gearing in the car. This is of course in a racing situation and not in a crusing down the street environment. I used to think it was good to stay in the power band, until I just redlined everything at the track. Was trapping high 99s now I trap in the low 102s. Of course the 102s were without drag radials, hence my fastest time still being a 13.9 as posted in sig.

streetsoldier185

Yellow Jacket LS1
Car(s)
04 GTO 6MT
Just know that gearing trumps the power band. Lot's of 2.0T guys (who were once 1.8T guys) will tell you it's best to shift around 6000rpm so you stay in the strong part of the power band. You should instead shift at red line (or right before fuel cut) to utilize all the gearing in the car. This is of course in a racing situation and not in a crusing down the street environment. I used to think it was good to stay in the power band, until I just redlined everything at the track. Was trapping high 99s now I trap in the low 102s. Of course the 102s were without drag radials, hence my fastest time still being a 13.9 as posted in sig.

true that...i shift around 6000rpm cuz our turbo is too small to hold boost at high rpm, no reason to take it to 7000rpms....we dont drive fucking hondas here people...

ChongivityAct

Banned
6.5 is where u will get the best push after all my research

gatorfast

man amongst boys
I dont think the OP is asking about what rpm's he should be shifting at...he is asking about the best technique for accelerating as quickly as possible.

ChongivityAct

Banned
I dont think the OP is asking about what rpm's he should be shifting at...he is asking about the best technique for accelerating as quickly as possible.

push it to the limit.

brian8smith

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 4DR BMP GTI
I have gotten the "bang" before and only chirped once going from 2nd to 3rd....anyone else want to comment on the bang or is just the engine mounts...also when you guys push to redline are you shifting as fast as possible to get right back into the power...thats my logic to get max acc as the OP said....but this wears more on the tranny/clutch?:iono:

Last edited:

generic83

lol wheel spin
I have gotten the "bang" before and only chirped once going from 2nd to 3rd....anyone else want to comment on the bang or is just the engine mounts...also when you guys push to redline are you shifting as fast as possible to get right back into the power...thats my logic to get max acc as the OP said....but this wears more on the tranny/clutch?:iono:

you shift as fast as possible to go fast as possible. when your shifting slowly your going to be decelerating. You will wear more on the tranny when shifting fast as possible. Like wise you will wear the clutch more if you feather it to make the shift smoother.

In short, if you want to go as fast as possible, you want to be out of gear the for the least ammount of time possible. This is where DSG has its advantage over the Manual.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Right, I was misquoted above. I'm saying DON'T shift a 6000rpm for the fastest acceleration, you should be closer to 7000 to take advantage of gearing.

Yeah, my friends were shifting at 6500 and I beat one of them who ran a 14.9@93 (very humid and heatsoaked intercoolers) while I shifted at 7000 and ran a 14.871@94.30. And I know it may not count for much, but I have 26 pound 18" rims, Pkg 1 vs their Pkg 0, and more stuff inside my car. I tried shifting earlier with not as good results.

phunkstar

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, my friends were shifting at 6500 and I beat one of them who ran a 14.9@93 (very humid and heatsoaked intercoolers) while I shifted at 7000 and ran a 14.871@94.30. And I know it may not count for much, but I have 26 pound 18" rims, Pkg 1 vs their Pkg 0, and more stuff inside my car. I tried shifting earlier with not as good results.

lol matt with what r/t time :thumbup: