GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

She left me stranded

fjowner

Ready to race!
Sorry i have not read all previous posts but isn't VW supposed to give you a loaner car if the vehicle requires an overnight repair?

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Up to each individual dealer.

I have yet to find a dealer in NJ that provides loaners. Princeton does not, Burlington does not, cherry hill does not, Turnersville does not, Hamilton Does not. I don't know. maybe there is one out there, but I have not yet found it.
Burlington at least will hook you up with a rental if they will have your car for a long time.... AND burlington's service dept is open untill 9PM on weekdays which is like, unheardof for a VW dealer. Most of them around here are 9-5 and closed on weekends. how can you be closed on weekends? I mean really.

dmbbum

420 champion
Car(s)
09 CW 2DR GTI TSI
at first it was just the battery light and nothing else. And it wasn't even on all the time. Then on my 40 mile drive home, after I hooked up the scan guage, I watched the voltage slowly drop. the a/c stopped working about 5 minutes before the power steering light and ABS light lit up. I turned everything off, radio, ac, radar detector... lights went off. then a few miles down the road the voltage dropped to about 9.7 and then everything went dead. Engine died and I had to coast over to the side of the road.

also... I have never heard of a brand new alternator, OEM from the factory, failing in 20k miles and probably ones years time.
Granted, VW didn't make the alternator, BOSCH did. But Bosch also makes alot of other components on the car. cross your fingers they didn't screw anything else up!

you're absolutely right , the alternator should
not be going at 20000 miles.
The only time that I had a alternator die on me was on my piece of shit chevy when I was 18. It gave me all the signs , radio stoped working , no ac , and the volts started going crazy .
That all happened abou 30 minutes before the car finnaly died.
It sucks you got no warning at all

conom06d

Flying circles around VWs
Car(s)
3 wheels and wings
They don't really. Not with 23k miles on them. Any car... i mean any car.... any shitty kia or daewoo, can go 60k miles without an issue.
I love the car, but you have to face it. VW's are one of the least reliable cars you can buy. This backed up by consumer reports data. We all have to accept this fact and plan for it. It's a great car to drive, it's good looking, has great power, great handling, great comfort, it's safe, good on gas.... but reliable... it's not.

umm....im at nearly 60k and havent had any breakdowns other than caused by my own maintenance mishaps. I'd say thats reliable. Looks like yours is a piece of shit than. Its a MACHINE.....they break. Kia's have their fair share of low mileage breakers too. u cant expect everything to work perfectly.

Also......older vw's are less reliable. Mkiv and before. The game has stepped up recently so i dont know what consumer reports data u saw, but the gti was car of the year several times and reliability for it was in the 8/10 range. Yes you hear about many people on here bitching about their issues, but u must remember there are 30,000 members and you hear of what, 5 a week complain. U happen to be one of them. ciao

MKV808

Ready to race!
The only cars I've ever had break down on me and leave me stranded were all hondas. Unreliable pieces of shit...

Sucks man, at least you should be under warranty.
I hope I don't have any problems with mine... I bought new because of all the problems I had with a s2000.

like what KIND of problems? I'm curious

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
not sure if this works. VW ranked 25 out of 34 in terms of reliability. up 5 spots from last year, but still in the bottom of the pack.

This data did not come out of thin air.

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
Car(s)
2007 MKV Fahrenheit
Sorry, its more reading about people's problems with their cars rather than a problem with my car. My car may go 100k with out any problems.

To make you feel better...

My car just turned 60k miles yesterday and it has not once failed me in any way .. I take extremely good care of it and to date it has done the same for me, I regularly drive through the Death Valley area with A/C blasting, radio on and using cruise control - no issues. I have driven it to Denver through the rockies 5 times - no issues, I have been in area where if it DID break down, i would be a helluva lot further than 15 miles from any dealership and its not even thought of letting me down. feel better yet?

OP - when you installed the Valentine...did you do any custom wiring?

Drains on alternators can be caused by improper wiring of components.. hopefully the dealer doesnt come back with a " you wired up your radar wrong and you killed your alternator " is it a possibility?

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
Car(s)
2007 MKV Fahrenheit
I have yet to find a dealer in NJ that provides loaners. Princeton does not, Burlington does not, cherry hill does not, Turnersville does not, Hamilton Does not. I don't know. maybe there is one out there, but I have not yet found it.
Burlington at least will hook you up with a rental if they will have your car for a long time.... AND burlington's service dept is open untill 9PM on weekdays which is like, unheardof for a VW dealer. Most of them around here are 9-5 and closed on weekends. how can you be closed on weekends? I mean really.

+10 for desert VW here in Vegas - Service dept is open till midnight mon-sat closes at 6pm on sunday.