GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shaking from front drivers side wheel after coilover install.

EastKingZ

Ready to race!
I've had them on for a week and it started maybe a day or two after they were installed. I had an alignment done right after installation too. You can hear the wheel pulsing and the whole car will shake, not badly but noticeable. I can hum and hear the vibration in my voice as if someone is karate chopping your back, ya know? After 65/70 mph the shaking goes away, at 60 it is the worst, steering wheel shakes. Turning either way seems to calm it down some but not much.

The tire looks alright, no weird wear. Could it be a wheel bearing? I have 30k miles and wouldn't think so but anything is possible. I wouldn't think it has to do with suspension, it follows the speed of the wheel. Maybe a rebalancing is all I need.

Joseph@OnePerfectDose

Ready to race!
Who did the install?

The driver side has the shortest axle so most will remove the axle to de-install. I'd check to make sure the axle was tightened correctly. There are only a few rotating pieces touched during an installation and I'd guess its axle related.

Most likely not a wheel issue unless it has been that way and just couldn't feel in stock suspension but from the sounds of it this is new.

Also ensure all lugs are torqued and you don't have a loose wheel.

TALON AE

Ready to race!
Did you rotate the tires when you did the install? Last year I had a similar vibration pop up immediately after a rotation. The rears had worn just enough that they were slightly out of balance ...completely unnoticeable when on the rears but very noticeable when rotated to the front.

Quick rebalance at the local shop with a hunter road force machine and it was smooth sailing again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastKingZ

Ready to race!
Who did the install?

The driver side has the shortest axle so most will remove the axle to de-install. I'd check to make sure the axle was tightened correctly. There are only a few rotating pieces touched during an installation and I'd guess its axle related.

Most likely not a wheel issue unless it has been that way and just couldn't feel in stock suspension but from the sounds of it this is new.

Also ensure all lugs are torqued and you don't have a loose wheel.

A friend who is a mechanic. We did back the axle out from the hub. I could have sworn he tightened it to spec. That would make the most sense, though. Car rode perfectly before the install. Lugs were torqued as well. Is there an easy way to test the axle without taking all the suspension components off? I can get her on jackstands this weekend.

I'm almost positive the wheels were not rotated. We might have switched the front and back. Maybe i'll get them balanced and rotate them and see if it persists.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:

EastKingZ

Ready to race!
Update with video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfSjrwLsS-8

Would this be the cause? everything else looks good, I checked the passengers side, too. It's weird because the vibration comes and goes. Today to and from work it was the smoothest ride, other days ill get noticeable vibrations when I take the same route to and from work.

I've heard that it is normal. Getting the wheels balanced on thursday, hopefully it will solve the problems. Just trying to update in case anyone else having the same issue finds this thread.

Last edited:

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
That does not sound normal at all to me.

EastKingZ

Ready to race!
Damn, I went for a short drive tonight and it feels smoother. I think i'm just going crazy. I also replaced a wheel bolt that was missing from ECS for the spacers on the passenger front but I don't think that would cause it.