GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Screeching noise on load

Soysauce

Nooob
Car(s)
'07 Gti
Reaching out to y'all because I need some help pinpointing the cause of this sound. I don't have a CEL, but I get this annoying faint screech under heavy throttle especially going up a hill. Car has 80k miles and I had the timing service done about 1,500 miles ago. The noise was apparent before the timing service and hasn't changed after. I drove around without the accessory belt and I didn't hear the noise which led me to believe it was related to that. I got a new belt, alternator pulley, and greased the tensioner bearing. Unfortunately the sound is still there although maybe a bit more quiet. I will try the no belt test again for good measure, but I'm thinking it could be an exhaust manifold gasket leak. Although I don't feel a loss in performance, my noise does sound like the noise in this clip https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ca3vGCB3T8 except it's not as loud. Also thought about the possibility of a vacuum/ boost leak. The oil dipstick test showed the pcv was good. Could it even be my clutch? Drivetrain is pretty much stock. Any insight is greatly appreciated

Soysauce

Nooob
Car(s)
'07 Gti
Drove around with no accessory belt for a mile and had no noise so I'm confident it's related to one of those pulleys. Guess I'll try to grease them all:iono:

Soysauce

Nooob
Car(s)
'07 Gti
The ac compressor pulley doesn't rotate freely so that might be the noise maker. Anyone know how to take the ac compressor pulley off? There's 4 Allen bolts on the pulley which I'm guessing will take it off, but I don't want to make this $0 job into a $500 job.

Soysauce

Nooob
Car(s)
'07 Gti
So there's 4 4mm Allen bolts on the pulley and a 9/32 bolt in the center, not sure which will allow me to get to the bearing. Last resort would be to buy an ac delete belt and just swap back to regular belt when I want ac :bonk:

Soysauce

Nooob
Car(s)
'07 Gti
here's a pic of the pulley FullSizeRender (3).jpg silver is 4mm allen bolt, middle is 9/32

Soysauce

Nooob
Car(s)
'07 Gti
Threw on an auxiliary belt that skips the ac pulley so it's just crank pulley, alternator pulley, and tensioner moving. Still get the noise, though it's a bit quieter. The alternator pulley is super smooth and new so it's probably still the tensioner.

YBRmuggsLP21

Passed Driver's Ed
lol. I would love to know what the ultimate solution to this ends up being, as I seem to have the same thing. It's not a big enough issue for me to try and diagnose it, however.

Soysauce

Nooob
Car(s)
'07 Gti
Soo I may have solved the annoying noise problem. I installed a neuspeed pflo today and I never heard the noise even under identical circumstances. I will be listening for it though. I think my stock plastic intake piping would rub on the plastic radiator fan on load because the engine moves a bit with stock engine mounts. The clips on the intake were broken so it would hang freely, the ducting also has a chip where it probably contacted the fan thousands of miles ago. Though this doesn't explain why it would go away without a serpentine belt, and it could be due to the intake noises drowning out the annoying noise. I'll keep my ears open!

Ejay

Car(s)
Black mkv GTI
I hear the same noise I thought it had something to do with the clutch after I got stage 1 but I'll look into that

Soysauce

Nooob
Car(s)
'07 Gti
I hear the same noise I thought it had something to do with the clutch after I got stage 1 but I'll look into that

I've had the noise at almost bone stock and I had it when I went Stage 1 with GIAC. I'm at 83,000 miles on stock clutch afaik. Clutch has been fine for me other than one instance where it slipped after hours of stop and go traffic. Haven't heard the noise after a week with the intake and I'm 90% sure the intake harmonics aren't drowning it out.

Ejay

Car(s)
Black mkv GTI
I have a put together intake haha sounds nice Imo but never thought to check if it's rubbing come think of it I put that on day before the tune I'm going to do some investigating ...mine only makes the noise when I high Rev or wot in gear hopefully it's something as simple as a intake placement....also at 109k with stock clutch

Soysauce

Nooob
Car(s)
'07 Gti
I have a put together intake haha sounds nice Imo but never thought to check if it's rubbing come think of it I put that on day before the tune I'm going to do some investigating ...mine only makes the noise when I high Rev or wot in gear hopefully it's something as simple as a intake placement....also at 109k with stock clutch

I used to get the noise in rpms above 2,500 and at wot as well. Now it's non existent in those conditions, but I thought I heard it in 1st/reverse soon after start up. Luckily my twin brother has an '07 gti so I'll swap tensioners with him to see if the noise follows the actual accessory belt tensioner

Ejay

Car(s)
Black mkv GTI
I used to get the noise in rpms above 2,500 and at wot as well. Now it's non existent in those conditions, but I thought I heard it in 1st/reverse soon after start up. Luckily my twin brother has an '07 gti so I'll swap tensioners with him to see if the noise follows the actual accessory belt tensioner

Dope let me know how that goes I hAve a tsi motor should be similar situation it's raining up here Chicago so I haven't checked mine ...should be going home to Texas soon so I'll put it up on ramps and look pretty thoroughly