GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RockFord Amp - Protect Mode

TriZzz

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

Yesterday, I was driving and my amp cut out. Sometimes this happens on long drives due to over-heating. 6 hours later, I got in my car to run a quick errand and now the amp is flashing "protect mode" LED and cutting in and out...not long enough to ever really be on.

Can this happen from a low battery? For the past 6 months...I've been told I need a new battery. I figured I'd ask the forums before I went out to get one. The car cranks/runs fine right now.

I didn't install the stereo myself so I don't know much about the wiring and etc. If you guys think it's not the battery, I'll go out there and unplug/replug everything back in to see if that helps.

Thanks,
TriZzz

jayygonzalez

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 Rabbit
it could be the fuse in the in line fuse holder.
or maybe the amp is turned up a lot and can't handle all the power outage.
my car did that and it would shut off but i turned it down and problem solved!

TriZzz

Ready to race!
Hey Jay,

Yeah, I checked the fuse and it's good. I'll try turning down the bass, but I have the car start with the volume pretty and it still doesn't cut on.

Thanks!

TriZzz

Ready to race!
check the ground. if your amp settings haven't changed it's on its way out. Time to look for new amps.

I have the guy who installed it looking into it on Wednesday. The amp/sub are only like 2 months old. I had unplugged/replugged everything going into the amp...he's gonna check on the wiring of the subs (it's stealth boxed right now)

I'll definitely post the solution once we figure it out so hopefully it'll help others.

I don't think it's the gains...since I didn't touch any of those settings.