GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RGB Ambient Lighting for Mk7 and Mk7.5

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I could have used the decoder, yes. But my preference is to go OEM where possible. From what I remember the kits with decoders were around $500. I paid a little less than that for the Audi A4 RGB kit (with harnesses). The decoder kits with trim pieces were another $200-ish and I paid about that for used door trim on eBay (I had to do full replacement, my silver Golf trim doesn't have the strips). I figured somewhere around $7-800 (not including my labor of course). So I figured decoder and non-OEM lights or OEM RGB's and facelift BCM were about the same cost.

Going through the process of "converting" to all adaptations for the new BCM was fun, to me. There are also some things you can do with OEM (BCM controlled) RGB lights like variable brightness for different zones, variable timing for zones so it looks like the car is "powering up" (you can have footwells, then center console, then door, then dash, etc.), different brightness for different conditions (for instance door lighting going full bright when that door is opened). There's also the colors changing with driving profile.

Some of these may be possible with the decoder, if it can "sniff" those commands. But earlier BCM's may not have the settings for these things anyway so there would be nothing for the decoder to "sniff," if that makes sense.

Yes, keys have to be adapted... but that's a 3 minute process/ It can be done separately (if you were to replace a key, for example) but I don't consider key adaptation as a secondary step. Adapting keys is part of the BCM guided replacement function. If you're taking care of component protection you're already connected, what's another 3 minutes, haha. My car does not have KESSY, you still need to adapt keys for immo and so the remote lock/unlock will work.
Were you able to pre code the BCM on a bench? The regular bench harness doesn't include a BCM connector.

How did you code with ODIS online? By yourself with a chinese account?

Only thing that scared me was the key matching but If its not a big deal then I might do it, been wanting to get some heated seats so that might be a good excuse to buy a Facelift BCM.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yes, I did all of the adaptations on the bench. There's no way I would do it in the car... There will be hundreds of channels that you can just match but there will be hundreds of brand new channels as well especially if coming from a non-high line pre-facelift BCM. Nothing you do on the bench (adaptations) is affected by adapting keys and component protection.

Being able to compare adaptation maps side by side and use Google translate while doing it was great. I have a bench setup (from Ali) that includes BCM connectors among tons of others.

I had a quick remote session, probably about 20 minutes total, to take care of component protection and keys. I don't have a login to do it myself. My VAS clone was bought years ago on Ali though.

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
Hi everyone, i would like to upgrade the OEM white ambient Lights to the 30 color one from AliExpress with decoder. Did anyone did this kind of upgrade ? could i just tap into the original wiring ? Or i need to rewire everything ?
Could someone please have info About this ? Thank you very much for any help !!
My car is Golf MK7 my 2015 preFL

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Hi everyone, i would like to upgrade the OEM white ambient Lights to the 30 color one from AliExpress with decoder. Did anyone did this kind of upgrade ? could i just tap into the original wiring ? Or i need to rewire everything ?
Could someone please have info About this ? Thank you very much for any help !!
You're in the thread already, check the first few posts :LOL:

CarloP

Hello everybody, I have a question about the rgb ambient lighting in my Golf 7..
I installed a BCM 084 DD (after so many days of coding) and everything works perfectly except the washer pump.
(By changing the BCM the pump works perfectly. but not with the bcm 084 dd. Anyone have an idea why?)

In addition, I have the Audi RGB LEDs, they all work except behind the handle....... �
(I mounted the leds with code: 8W0 947 355 C / 8W0 947 355 D)
That someone can help me, I'm frustrated hahah

Attachments

• IMG_2318.jpg
    IMG_2318.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 187

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@CarloP In my notes 8W0 947 355 C are "gruppe 7" and can be set as door, middle console or instrument panel. I don't have a 8W0 947 355 D to test, or at least I didn't test it, I'll have to check.

If you want to post an ad map of 09 I can have a look through it for the washer... I first retrofitted 84DD and it worked in my car. I don't know if that's on topic really, there is a facelift BCM retrofit thread 😛
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...acelift-mk7-in-progress-please-help-😬.397618/

CarloP

@CarloP In my notes 8W0 947 355 C are "gruppe 7" and can be set as door, middle console or instrument panel. I don't have a 8W0 947 355 D to test, or at least I didn't test it, I'll have to check.

If you want to post an ad map of 09 I can have a look through it for the washer... I first retrofitted 84DD and it worked in my car. I don't know if that's on topic really, there is a facelift BCM retrofit thread 😛
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/retrofit-of-facelift-bcm-into-pre-facelift-mk7-in-progress-please-help-😬.397618/
perfect, thank you very much. I will post my full map on the other thread!

Themark

Car(s)
VW GOLF 7.5 VARIANT
The Kit In Detail

This is a high level overview of the different components of the kit. I've uploaded close ups of each component to this Google Photos album.

View attachment 200638

I've quickly whipped up what I believe to be the correct wiring diagram (at a super high level) for the OEM/non OEM (steering wheel) setup. This would be slightly different if you opted to use the mirror switch as your control instead.

The blue dotted lines between the LED controllers symbolises a wireless communication, because these modules can talk to each other without direct wiring!

View attachment 200645
Hi, I have the same set as you, may I ask where you connected the 12v? I don't know which pin in the fuse box is suitable for this

anbro

Car(s)
Golf Mk7.5 Match
Hey, new to the forum but been lurking a while. Currently have a Mk7.5 Match Edition TSI so one of the last batch of Mk7.5s. Annoyingly, there are no ambient lights at all - dash, doors, footwell, door exits.

I'm wanting to get the OEM set up - lights controlled on the infotainment ideally, I doubt my BCM would control it but I've got a bit lost with everything else. Is the only other option to get a BCM that can control ambient lighting (like some of the models listed) and then flash and work from there, or because I'm in the facelift version would the controllers on this bypass that need for me? Sorry if that's a stupid question

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@anbro Do you have a VCDS or OBDEleven scan of your car. Probably easiest to start there. The only modules that really matter for RGB ambient lighting are the BCM (09) and Infotainment (5F). Gateway (19) also matters for some things but with a facelift car your gateway is unlikely to be an issue.

RFA

Car(s)
Golf 7 GTE
Hello everyone, new to this forum. I have read here similar thing which has help me, but now I have a question regarding the ambient light. I have an golf 7 GTE (2016) so it is a pre facelift. I upgraded it with the 30 ambient lights I did not know it would be so difficult and that it is for facelift models. So right now the lights in my car are turqouise is there something I can do with VCDS to change it to blue? I understand that it wont be possible to change the colours from the infotainment system, but I thought if I can manage just to set the colour to blue instead of turqouise, I will be happy and don't need to change it to other colours after that.

Also I heard that the 30 colours on the infotainment system will be possible by using an decoder, is this true?

harm

Car(s)
Mk7.5 Variant 2.0TDI
Hi,

I have got Golf 7.5 Variant 2017, with a factory one-color ambient light (front footwell, front door strip and front door handle).
For some time I was thinking of installing footwell for rear seats also (in the back of driver and passenger seats). But recently came to my mind an idea of retrofitting multicolor ambient.

I already know the key point is the presence of C29 pin in the BCM.

My BCM is 5Q0937086BF (SW: 5Q0937086BK).

It's capable of using 30 colors, which I enabled some time ago. They work in MIB as well as in AID.

I also enabled independent brightness control for footwell and door ambient on Ambient screen.

After a few days of searching on the Internet I'm a little bit confused.
My BCM is mentioned, among others 86s and 84s, as capable for multicolor ambient.
It has both ambient_lighting_lin_slaves_modules and ambient_lighting_lin_slaves_groups channels in adaptations.
But according to the photos on the Internet, it does not seem to have C29 pin.

Is there a way to determine whether the pin is in my BCM without detaching the C plug and looking for it?

I would like to avoid doing it just for the check, as it requires disassembling as few parts and the access seems to be rather hard.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@harm Looking at pictures online or checking the physical plug is the only way. There are BCM's like what it seems you have... they support software 30 color ambient lights (which gives you MIB/AID) but not hardware 30 color (via LIN, Plug C Pin 29) which would give you the various LEDs in the car.

You are posting in a thread for doing RGB lights without a BCM Plug C Pin 29. This would be the not-so-OEM solution using modules from AliExpress. Your BCM can can still provide control, but you won't need Plug C Pin 29.

If you are trying to the more-OEM solution using Plug C Pin 29 I suspect you will need to replace your BCM.

harm

Car(s)
Mk7.5 Variant 2.0TDI
Thanks for you answer.

That's what I was afraid of. My confusion was mainly caused by the presence of ambient_lighting_lin_slaves_modules and ambient_lighting_lin_slaves_groups channels.

It seems the channel presence in the BCM's adaptations doesn't really mean there is a physical pin associated with it. My BCM has also channels Leuchte32AMBL 2C35, Leuchte33AMBL 3C36 and Leuchte34AMBL 4C37, but according to pictures on the Internet none of related pins is physically present.

I came to impression that VW just installed a SW capable for ambient, which simply came with full ambient support (rgb, more zones, etc.) on the low-cost HW with minimum functionality required for ambient in Golf.

I'm aware of other possibilities to install multicolor ambient, but I hoped it would be done as much OEM as possible with limited cost and effort. For me changing the BCM makes to much cost/effort for just a "look" feature :)

Anyway thanks for your time :)

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
No problem... the OEM-ish way is going to be the one with the most cost/effort I think, haha.

And yeah there are often things in the software that are "ahead" of the current hardware. I had a pre-facelift BCM that had basic, but working, RGB lighting capability. For so long it had been said that RGB lighting was not possible on pre-facelift but my (then) BCM had the adaptation channels and Plug C Pin 29... so I figured why not try. Eventually I wanted full RGB functionality and decided to retrofit facelift BCM.