GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removing GTI engine cover to fit air filter?

Yoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi there. Please, please can anyone help me here? I have asked this question on other forums and not one person has given an answer! How do I remove the engine cover on the mkV GTI? I have a replacement air filter element and would rather like to fit it! Thanks in advance of any help given - step-by-step instructions with pictures would be out of sight! Oh, great forum - here's my ride... (mkV GTI, tornado red, manual, xenons, leather, sat nav, 18" monzas, winter pack, surround lighting, electric fold mirrors, park sensors, painted rear and skirts, R32 rear lights... remap + milltek coming in a couple of weeks).

jaydub

Autocross Newbie
hey man,

How did you paint your skirts? I went to a VW dealer and they wouldn't paint them due to the texture of the plastic. They wouldn't warranty any of their work. Pls let me know.

Yoda

Passed Driver's Ed
jaydub said:
hey man,

How did you paint your skirts? I went to a VW dealer and they wouldn't paint them due to the texture of the plastic. They wouldn't warranty any of their work. Pls let me know.

Err - my local VW dealer did it! £250 inc.VAT. All done in a day and of course, it's warrantied work! I think your Dub Dealer is fobbing you off... either that or the UK ones are more willing to do this kind of thing for their customers? I actually went to three seperate dealers for quotes and all three were happy to do the work - I just went for the one nearest me, which also happened to be the cheapest!

Last edited:

tmrakip

Dog is my co-pilot
Removing the engine cover for the first time can be a little nerve-racking...I was convinced I was going to break it or something else in teh compartment.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I'm going to pick up my K&N today. Where is the frickin filter, in the cover somewhere??

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Yoda said:
Err - my local VW dealer did it! £250 inc.VAT. All done in a day and of course, it's warrantied work! I think your Dub Dealer is fobbing you off... either that or the UK ones are more willing to do this kind of thing for their customers? I actually went to three seperate dealers for quotes and all three were happy to do the work - I just went for the one nearest me, which also happened to be the cheapest!

Only 250 quid? Wow that is amazingly cheap.

tikiman

Drag Race Newbie
Wantagti said:
I'm going to pick up my K&N today. Where is the frickin filter, in the cover somewhere??

i hope you get the right one since the one that k&n lists is inncorrect we need to look at audi 2.0t part number 33-2888
good luck

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I can't believe VW did this for when the average guy tries to change the filter......yeah I can. Stupid, stupid, stupid......

Yoda

Passed Driver's Ed
KaynE said:
Only 250 quid? Wow that is amazingly cheap.

It was about the same price at three different VW dealerships that I phoned for a quote. Strange thing is, I called one independant body shop to get a comparison and they wanted £500 to do the same job.

Thanks for the helps guys - much appreciated. Looks like a bloody nightmare job - why can't VW makes things simple eh? On my TT it was a doddle to get at and change the air filter... I'll put a few hours aside over the weekend to do the job.