GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear caliper removal?

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
I can't figure out exactly how to remove my rear passenger caliper. Does anyone have experience doing this?

Edit: I should clarify that I've already removed the pads and caliper carrier. I need to get the caliper completely off the car to replace it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
I already made clear that I have done all the steps up to removing the caliper entirely from the car. I need to replace the caliper.

GTI6speed

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
You've gotta disconnect the brake line and I think you have to bleed the system...I'm not 100% sure though so search around for like a Stoptech or Brembo brake install DIY and see...just be sure you buy new bolts with fresh loctite on them.

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
I was intending on bleeding the brakes. But in the rear, there are 3 lines attached to the caliper. One hard line that feeds the fluid, then two other lines (one for the ebrake and the other through a bracket which attaches to the hard line) and I don't know how to remove those two.

The circled areas are where the lines are.

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
So I found a decent DIY, but when it gets to the removal section, there are no pictures. All it says is remove the ebrake line clip, which I guess helps me a little. I'll go give it another try later today.

Still open to responses lol

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Rear caliper super easy, unbolt upper and lower, disconnect brake line, pull the caliper off, move the e brake lever forward, pop cable end off, compress plastic guide with pliers and push it through, remove caliper. The brake line will leak while disconnected so plug line or put small bucket under it to catch fluid.

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
So the plastic guide is what's holding the line in the bracket?

Just trying to clarify before I try to crush something with pliers lol

Last edited:

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
So the plastic guide is what's holding the line in the bracket?

Just trying to clarify before I try to crush something with pliers lol

The plastic guide holds the emergency brake cable to the bracket, don't wail on it with vise grips, just light pressure with pliers.

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
Got the line off the lever, but cant get the whole thing through the bracket.

Also, still stumped on how to get the other line out of the bracket.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
You should be able to just pull it through, once you unsnap the guide there is nothing holding it to the bracket. All brake lines are held to brackets with slide retainers, simply unwedge them. If having trouble consider taking car to shop, lives depend on brakes.

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
I'm capable of putting the brakes back together properly, but the ebrake line will not simply slide through because of the accordian type cover over the line. Its too big to get through that hole. I was able to unclip it and start getting it off, but it gets stuck there.

The other line will not release and slide through either. Very tight, no clips.

Here are the pictures in case there's some sort of disconnect.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365084582679.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365084582679.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 2,534
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365084613285.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365084613285.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 2,512
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365084642963.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365084642963.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 2,516

jjakimetz

Ready to race!
It looks like you should be able to pull it through by pinching the clips and pulling harder to get past the rubber. I doubt the rubber would get damaged unless it is really that fragile... You could try soaking the rubber with water or maaaaaybe grease/oil it to pull it through.

Please bear in mind, I have not done the brakes on this car yet. I am simply offering suggestions based off of what I see in the picture. Good luck

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
I was able to get the clips out. They just re-seated cause of the position the caliper is in.

I guess maybe itll squeeze out, Im just concerned about tearing it somehow.