GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rattle in rear hatch?

SpecialFX

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
I have a rattle in my rear hatch from my subs that sounds (the best I can tell) to be coming from inside the hatch door. Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas of how to eliminate this? It keeps getting worse and worse. Not surprisingly, it seems to be coming from right in front of the sub. The birth sheet for my amp is something like 920W RMS.

envyrew

Eurlaggin'
Car(s)
GTI MKV
It could be the actual hatch rattling.

Get some dynamat.

SpecialFX

I am fairly sure it *IS* the inside of the hatch. Where woudl I put sound dampening material to even stop this?

sonomamkvdsg

7 time F1 Champ
Car(s)
2006 MKV DSG TR
You take off the hatch panel an apply the dynomat on the metal in between the plastic panel and the metal. I think the dynomat has directions on the package. While you have the panel off check for loose items. You could have broken plastic clips or somehting like that.

SpecialFX

Is there a DIY yet for dismantling the hatch? (too lazy to search :p)

Instrument Mechanic

Frisky Dingo
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
to the OP:
DYnamat may help, but a little foam tape (weather seal at a hardware store) at the edges where the plastic touches the metal may also work. you may try moving the sub a bit further from the hatch, if you can. If want to experimental, try reversing the sub (fire toward the front of the car), and maybe reverse the phase, try it. It wont make you happy if you want the loudest thump for bass heavy music (your desire based on the power and sub size), but it may yield a more natural bass line, think SQ not SPL.

another thing, did you run at least 4 ga wire to the amp, and get a know good ground (tested). This is a must if you want that much power from a amp.
P=I*E 920watts/14.4volts=63.9amps (more at 12 volts!)
63.9amps is alot of current.... and that amp should get hot

:iono: Sorry, I just revisited my old stereo days :biggrin:

SpecialFX

to the OP:
DYnamat may help, but a little foam tape (weather seal at a hardware store) at the edges where the plastic touches the metal may also work. you may try moving the sub a bit further from the hatch, if you can. If want to experimental, try reversing the sub (fire toward the front of the car), and maybe reverse the phase, try it. It wont make you happy if you want the loudest thump for bass heavy music (your desire based on the power and sub size), but it may yield a more natural bass line, think SQ not SPL.

another thing, did you run at least 4 ga wire to the amp, and get a know good ground (tested). This is a must if you want that much power from a amp.
P=I*E 920watts/14.4volts=63.9amps (more at 12 volts!)
63.9amps is alot of current.... and that amp should get hot

:iono: Sorry, I just revisited my old stereo days :biggrin:

I had a professional install so I don't think there are problems there. I wanted to do it myself, but my GTI was only about a month old and I wanted someone that was going to be liable if something happened to her during install!

thanks for the input!

mcsdude23

Ready to race!
How loud is the sub when it starts rattling? It could just be the air between the panels vibrating. Or maybe ur rear wiper or license plate. I mean that is a pretty powerful sub.

SpecialFX

How loud is the sub when it starts rattling? It could just be the air between the panels vibrating. Or maybe ur rear wiper or license plate. I mean that is a pretty powerful sub.

The rattle is fairly minor at lower volumes and is only bad with it turned up. I am sure it's not the wiper or the plate. It sounds like to panels vibrating/rattling against each other inside the hatch door.

Goneincognito

Go Kart Champion
I had a rattle in the the back of my Golf that I thought was inside and it turned out to be a loose reflector in the tail light on the hatch door. Since it has been replaced it is now rattle free... Apart from all the others.

mcsdude23

Ready to race!
It is a good possiblity that the rattle is coming from between the tail lights and the metal on the car. The only way to really determine where it is to take it apart and find anything that is lose or not properly secure as in tighten down.