GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rain Closing through VAG COM

LannyM

LC User
I received a PM from a member regarding this feature; he had spotted an old vortex post that I had made about. Just to clarify, I did not discover this, I read about it and posted some concise instructions on how to do it through VAG COM.

In case you're not familiar, VAG COM is a diagnostic tool/software that allows control of many aspects of your VW; turning off DRLs, for example. For this feature, the car utilizes the rain sensor in the rear view mirror and puts up the windows and closes the sunroof at the the first sign of moisture. I did this mod last week for a local member and we got on the subject of how sensitive the sensor is-a licked finger over the sensor closes it up, which is pretty damn sensitive!

Here are the instructions again for anyone with access to VAG COM for their US Spec R32. Use at your own risk-don't proceed if your original values are different than mine, write down all your original values, etc....

Part No: 1K0 955 559 AF
Component: RLS 260607 046 0204
Coding: 00207646
Shop #: WSC 05055

I changed 00207646 to 00469790.

And then under 46 Comfort System Controller I set Byte 09 from HEX 04 to HEX 02.

At that point I had a menu in my MFD under Convenience that allows for Rain Closing either On or Off.

Here are some screen shots of the MFD of this feature.

LannyM

LC User
FYI, you also have to have your wipers set to auto for this function to work.

Not on mine. If the function is turned on in the MFD, it works regardless of wiper stalk position. The car has to be off for it to work, but does not need to be locked. I did notice it takes the sensor a period of time, two minutes or so, to be active after the car has been turned off. I've also read that it becomes inactive after 24 hours, but I have not confirmed this.

wuznme

Passed Driver's Ed
I did this mod last week for a local member and we got on the subject of how sensitive the sensor is-a licked finger over the sensor closes it up, which is pretty damn sensitive!

Yeah, I guess the first time we tried it on your car, we wasted alot of time getting cups of water to pour over the windshield.

QCDriver

Ready to race!
sensor is located where your rearview mirror mounted. go outside in front of your windshield at the center you will see something like 2 white round dotted.
that's the rain sensor.

Wow, never noticed that before thanks....
Time to buy Vag for another reason..:thumbsup:

TablaRasa

Ready to race!
I have the menu for rain closing however, it still not working for me

LannyM

LC User
I have the menu for rain closing however, it still not working for me

Does your auto wiper feature work? Some early .:Rs did not have the sensor activated, which is another procedure you can do with your VAG. Once you are sure the sensor is active, and you have the menu setting on, it should work.

The car needs to be off for the feature to work. And it does take a couple of minutes to be active after you close the doors-it won't respond instantly. I'm guessing it was programmed this way because if it actually was raining while you were leaving the car, you'd put the windows up yourself.

So after it sits for a couple of minutes, a small glass of water right on the sensor should do it....