GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radio Busted!!

VolksTDI

Car(s)
VW Golf TDI MK V '04
Hey Guys,

First post WhooHoo, :thumbup:

Recently just bought my first VW and I'm loving it so far! Moved from a Jap car to the Golf 1.9 TDI '04.

Anyway enough of the chitchat I'm having a problem already and ye might be able to help, tried doing a search for it but no luck, apologies if i missed it.

Driving along today listening to a CD in the stock golf radio and the sound just cut off and the screen went blank. Tried to turn it back on and flashed for a second but went off again and continued to do this about 10 more times without me touching anything!

I decided to not touch it for a while and then took out the CD while trying to turn it on, It came on for about 10 seconds and seemed to work but when i pressed a few buttons it went again.

Was getting fairly frustrated so i left it for a while again and next time i tried it stayed on for 5 minutes!!! :happyanim: and there it went again!

Drove home about 1 hour not touching anything and tried the power button and no action at all this time not even a flash and for the last few hours that's the way its been.

Now before you say it all other electrics are working perfectly in the car so i don't think it's a problem with the battery.

What would you good people think the problem is?

Thanks for any replies

-----VolksTDI

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
almost sounds like bad wiring maybe. I'd find a way to get that deck out of there and make sure none of your wiring is damaged. also check fuses.

VolksTDI

Car(s)
VW Golf TDI MK V '04
almost sounds like bad wiring maybe. I'd find a way to get that deck out of there and make sure none of your wiring is damaged. also check fuses.

Thanks for your reply ASCI Blue, checked fuses and didn't seem to be anything wrong with them.

Had a service done yesterday and i asked them to check it thinking it was a minor thing. Turns out the radio has an internal error and needs to be repaired (150-200 Euro) or they said i could buy a new one for 350Euro!!

So it's in the shop getting repaired at the moment!

Bummer to hear. you could always upgrade to any of the nav capable touchscreen radios that dominate the front page of in-car entertainment/electronics section or even better, CarPC

VolksTDI

Car(s)
VW Golf TDI MK V '04
Well, turns out after 2 or 3 weeks they decide to call and tell me it's unfixable, i bet they only looked at it last minute!! :mad:

Might hold out another bit till i save up enough to get a RNS510 unit!

siLc

Passed Driver's Ed
04' eh? You'll definetly need a CAN Gateway upgrade also to avoid the RNS510 battery drain issue.