GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rabbit MKV 2.5L (2007) READINESS goes to NOT-READY on restart.

dave61340

Car(s)
2007 VW Rabbit
My 2007 2.5 MKV Rabbit is unable to keep required READINESS to pass emission. I have completed multiple drive cycles and verified all the system are READY to pass emissions. Unfortunately, those multiple systems don't remain READY after restarting the car. How is this possible? I thought that once the systems were ready they were guaranteed to remain READY. What could be causing the issue that would make those systems go from READY to NOT READY?

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I think your engine code is BGP...are these the steps you performed (exactly)?
Factors that can prevent 'Readiness' are; Fuel level in the tank should not be near full or empty...somewhere nearer to half full is better__good alternator and battery voltage__probably should perform the cycle in the morning when air temp is cooler.

VCDS: "It takes a variety of specific driving conditions to "test" all the systems. In practice, driving a properly-functioning car for 2-3 days including at least one short highway trip, should be sufficient to test each of the Readiness Bits to set all of the testable ones to "Pass". It can be done in a short time using a very specific (might be the one I added below) and complicated procedure found in the On Board Diagnostic section of the Factory Repair Manual for your engine or you can use the Guided Readiness Script function in VCDS as described below."

I found this, but this is the more complicated method:
This drive cycle should be valid for Volkswagen engine codes BGP and BGQ.
*Let the vehicle cool down completely and allow the vehicle to warm up to full operating temperature from a cold start before commencing this drive cycle.*

• Switch the ignition on and start the vehicle.
  • Idle the vehicle for 2-3 minutes. This executes the O2S Heater, Misfire, Secondary AIR, Fuel Trim, and Purge system monitors.
  • Drive the vehicle at 45-55 mph for a continuous 7 minute period, avoid stopping. This executes the EVAP, O2S, Fuel Trim, and Misfire monitors.
  • Accelerate the vehicle to an engine speed of 5000 RPM (with automatic transmission use the tip-tronic mode) lift off the throttle until the engine speed is around 1200 rpm. This executes the fuel cut off
  • Accelerate the vehicle smoothly to 60-65 mph, cruise constantly for 5 min, this executes the Catalyst, O2S, Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge System monitors.
  • Decelerate and idle the vehicle again for 3 minutes. This executes the Misfire, Secondary AIR, Fuel Trim, and Purge system monitors.
Here is VCDS's routine: https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/readiness.php

What, if any, are its stored codes?

dave61340

Car(s)
2007 VW Rabbit
Thanks for the information. Looks like it is a false positive. The android "Car Scanner" app doesn't use the classic "drive cycle" definition. Instead, it means the monitors that are ready since the last engine start. However, the app does have "Status since DTC reset" section which is what I am looking for