GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Putty on oil drain plug?

kram

Ready to race!
Hi there,

Did my first oil change on the GTI today (all others done at dealer). After I got under there I noticed this:

Like a hard putty stuck to the pan/bolt. Was a little tough, but was able to get the bolt off no problem & installed a new bolt. Was more curious than anything else if this is something the dealers typically do? Been a few hours since I did it & havent noticed any leaks yet..

The only other time I saw this was when some shop stripped the bolt on my wife's Rav4 & tried to keep it from leaking with this crap. Ended up replacing the oil pan on hers. I put a Fumoto on hers & will put on the GTI eventually.

btw - the Gorilla's at the dealer put the filter on so friggin tight I could've killed somebody..needed channel locks to get it off. :mad:

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
fucking JB weld.. they put it there to stop a leak? but that cant be true.. no one is that stupid..

StigsFatAmericanCousin

Ready to race!
I saw a YouTube video where the oil plug was leaking due to the captive washer. Maybe that was what was happening to your pan and they tried to plug it.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Which dealer did you service your car at?

Also, car is leak free following your own DIY oil change?

kram

Ready to race!
fucking JB weld.. they put it there to stop a leak? but that cant be true.. no one is that stupid..

Ahhh! JB Weld! That's what this crap is!

Was checking my oil periodically since the last oil change (~7k miles ago...longer than I wanted to go, but just didnt get to it) & levels have been good. No driveway spots.

Which dealer did you service your car at?

Also, car is leak free following your own DIY oil change?

http://www.vwofsalemcounty.com/

Just changed it this afternoon...only started it to get it up to idle & get the oil flowing & back down off the ramps. Checked a few hours later & no oil drips. Will check again tomorrow morning & after my commute to work.

let me guess burlington????

Nahh...I remember you telling me your horror story about that place; for that alone I won't go there. I've only gone to VW of Salem County out in Monroeville...they're probably closest dealer to my house. They were good to me for the couple warranty repairs I had done (intake mani, window regulator). They never mentioned anything about any leaking...:iono:

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
I recall a policy some quickie lube places (no specific names mentioned...) have of marking the drain plug with something like that because people with very old cars with worn engines were getting their oil changed, going home, draining the new oil out and then driving with no oil in the pan on purpose. They blamed the oil change technician for failing to refill the oil after the drain and ruining their engine with the intent on getting a new motor installed for free. Marking the drain plug with an anti-tamper indicator seal prevents such lawsuits from happening, unless of course you have a top-side oil sucker... There's always a hack for everything. Could this be what it was?

kram

Ready to race!
Interesting! Hadn't thought of that...

Well, no oil on the ground this morning & so far nothing underneath after my 20mi commute to work. So far so good. Don't know why the dealer put it on there, but there doesn't seem to be any issue thus far. :iono:

barische

Go Kart Champion
Ahhh! JB Weld! That's what this crap is!

http://www.vwofsalemcounty.com/

Just changed it this afternoon...only started it to get it up to idle & get the oil flowing & back down off the ramps. Checked a few hours later & no oil drips. Will check again tomorrow morning & after my commute to work.

Nahh...I remember you telling me your horror story about that place; for that alone I won't go there. I've only gone to VW of Salem County out in Monroeville...they're probably closest dealer to my house. They were good to me for the couple warranty repairs I had done (intake mani, window regulator). They never mentioned anything about any leaking...:iono:

my gf's parents live at watson's mill Rd. so we drive by that dealership all the time. Her dad has a beetle and had a jetta before all purchased n serviced there.. according to him they have been nice and have good record and quality of service.. sucks to hear that they messed up.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
after seeing all the details, this wouldnt be jb weld. if it was, it would be like cement and you've never get that plug off.

kram

Ready to race!
after seeing all the details, this wouldnt be jb weld. if it was, it would be like cement and you've never get that plug off.

Yeah, this was rubbery... Couldn't peel it off with my fingers really, but it was pliable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
That's not JB Weld then. Sounds like it could have been a tamper indicator like mentioned above. It's actually the first thing I thought of.

I'm have trouble orienting myself to the photos, is it possible it was picked up from the ground?