GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Powdercoating/Painting Wheels

NahbutsGTI

EUROTHRASH
Car(s)
MkV GTI 6spd
Hi guys

Just got some rims that have been spray painted black and wanted to get them sand blasted and powder coated anthricate/gunmetal grey, or should I just get a body shop to paint them instead?

Anyone know a good place?

and what would it be worth? maybe $50-70 per wheel? I'm just guessing...

Any help is appreciated

Cheers

NahbutsGTI

EUROTHRASH
Car(s)
MkV GTI 6spd
Stripped the paint off the wheels myself today. Used automotive paint stripper(spray can) and then used the water blaster and it came straight off!

...and guess what I found? original paint underneath(no primer, no sanding) and gutter rash! Not really too bothered, I'll just bog it and sand it. Looks like I'll get 'em painted after all.

Should I attempt this myself? I've seen a lot of guys on here that have done it with great success, then again, I've seen some that are... questionable, at best!

Thoughts?

P.S. - I'll post some pics of before and after the clean down and the finished product when I get around to it

xenogear

Passed Driver's Ed
i've attempted to paint my wheels myself. even wrote up an DIY on here somewhere

initially they look great. did all the prep work and tried to do everything properly from what i researched. but they don't last the test of time unfortunately. my advice would be get it done professionally

NahbutsGTI

EUROTHRASH
Car(s)
MkV GTI 6spd
So did you end up getting yours done professionally? If so, did you get them painted or powdercoated? and what did it cost you?

Cheers

xenogear

Passed Driver's Ed
i ended up selling them, i bought some rs4 reps which i painted matt black. had them on the car for about 5 months. then decided to invest in some proper wheels.

they looked quite good. i was quite thorough when i painted them, but in the end you could see chips of paint after wear. the paint just didn't stick to the wheels adequately (at least not for my use)

NahbutsGTI

EUROTHRASH
Car(s)
MkV GTI 6spd
Have decided to go "El Cheapo" option and paint them myself, if they're chipped in 6 months I'll get them done properly.

Here's some pics...
They started out as matt black, with lots of crazing and chips.
WP_000287.jpg
Then paint was stripped
WP_000288.jpg
This is what was underneath the black paint, hidden gutter rash!
WP_000289.jpg
All Clean!
WP_000290.jpg
Primed, bogged and sanded to a nice smooth even finish
WP_000295.jpg
Painted! (the one on the right)
WP_000296.jpg

NahbutsGTI

EUROTHRASH
Car(s)
MkV GTI 6spd
Put the wheels on the car and the colour was completely wrong for TR car. The wheels are going back to black!

...and after all that freakin' work!?!