GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Polish out windshield scratch?

marvr

Sportscar Guy
As mentioned on an earlier thread the windshield seems to scratch fairly easily. I found a 2.5" scratch near eye level :cry: on my windshield.

Not sure how it happend if I did it with my ice scraper or grit on the wiper blades. The scratch is not deep but is definitely noticeable. I'm wondering if it's possible to polish the scratch out of the glass? Does anyone out there have this done successfully?

I phoned a few local auto glass places and they pretty much said it can't be done without distorting the windshield. Is that correct?

R-Mac06

HO-Town Down!
Car(s)
06 UG GTI
ouch, we get free windshield replacement in florida, sorry to hear that.

R-Mac06

HO-Town Down!
Car(s)
06 UG GTI
no its a state thing, you would have to have it cracked but that easy to do yourself, you schedule an appointment and the state has a place that comes out and does for free. Mr. Jeb Bush i thank you! its to decrease or prevent traffic accidents i would guess.

ShadowGLI

Sandy Vagina Rinser Outer
Car(s)
2006 GLI w/ DSG
no its a state thing, you would have to have it cracked but that easy to do yourself, you schedule an appointment and the state has a place that comes out and does for free. Mr. Jeb Bush i thank you! its to decrease or prevent traffic accidents i would guess.

They do it in MA too, basically if you have coverage on your car its a requirement that Insurance replace the cracked piece of glass as it does not pass safety inspection requirements. Your state might, especially if you have full coverage which you should.

marvr

Sportscar Guy
:mad: I just found a few more scratches on my windshield most likely from grit on the wiperblades. VW glass seems way too soft/scractch sensitive. I've never experienced this problem before with other cars that I've owned.

I've resigned my self now to "living with it" and not worrying about it until it gets a big ding or something causes me to replace the windshield all together. :frown:

R-Mac06

HO-Town Down!
Car(s)
06 UG GTI
i would say just wipe the blades down now when you wash the car. i dunno im sure you already do.

NewaveRide

LOLOMGWTFEUROVERATED
Car(s)
07 VW Rabbit 2-door
ive got a few small chips in mine. i hate it

mikeishere

Charger Football Watcher
same here, I've only had the car for a month and already have a million little scratches on it. Very annoying.

agentcooper

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 Candy White GTI
I'm now in the "scratched windshield" club.

I noticed a couple of light scratches the other day and a few very small chips that look almost like a small speck of salt but when you look close it's actually a tiny chip in the glass. I've had the car 2 and half weeks and I've babied this thing like you wouldn't believe.

IMO it appears the type of glass used is very easily scratched on the GTI's and maybe on all VW's. I'll just wait till it cracks and get it replaced I guess....but it's pretty annoying....how could something like glass be so delicate on a car? That makes NO sense.

hobouncer

rocking the hawk
i have like 3 rock chips on my glass.. i say a rock chip is better then it shattering... one was a huge rock.. so i think its sturdy

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Glass shop that did my last replacement on my Audi said glass is not the quality it was a few years ago. He said the best out now was Pilkington.
I've had huge stones fly off of gravel trucks flying by and I all I've gotten is a little nick.

There are a few old pro's that can buff out the scratches... and they are very hard to find. Most people will buff too hard and distort the windshield and your view will be messed up.

Jeppe

Drag Race Newbie
:mad: I just found a few more scratches on my windshield most likely from grit on the wiperblades. VW glass seems way too soft/scractch sensitive. I've never experienced this problem before with other cars that I've owned.
Same here- I have a lot of tiny scratches from dirt caught underneath the windscreen wiper. I have never noticed it on any other car, so I guess there has to be some factor that causes this.

My theory is that because it has this feature that once in a while (like every ~10 times you start or turn off the car) slightly moves the wiper blade a little bit, it catches the small pieces of dirt that are directly below where the wiper blade rests causing it to be dragged across the windscreen.

I am actually using the windscreen washer less because of this, and sometimes I clean the wiper blades with a paper towel before I drive off, to prevent more scratches.