GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pocono International Raceway July 17-19

Skim Diesel

Go Kart Champion
Anybody running with PDA on this weekend? I called them up and they said, Friday's run will be have 6 sessions of 30 mins each, utilizing all 3 courses... sounds like a damn good deal for $275.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
haha, looks like you've become addicted. I wish I was around for this, seems like a pretty decent deal (though I think the south course is kinda lame).

Skim Diesel

Go Kart Champion
haha, I've definitely caught the fever Meat. Saturday just wet my appetite! I think on a high speed course, in the dry, my brakes would be done quick though. I'll have to look into a better setup than just HP+...

ETADRAFT

Wannabe Racer
Car(s)
08 GTI
I ran the HP+ around pocono. They are Ok if you take the backing plate off from behind your discs to keep them cool. I just used the XP10/XP8 combo and its a huge step up from the HP+. Definitely recommend it. But i'll be switching them out today cause their loud as hell on the road.

Skim Diesel

Go Kart Champion
Do we even need that dust shield for daily driving? I'd rather not have to deal w/ putting on/off for events and DD. Also, did you have to upgrade to R compound tires to run those pads? I've read that they can overpower street tires?

ETADRAFT

Wannabe Racer
Car(s)
08 GTI
I only put the dust shields back on at the end of the season / winter. I haven't noticed any difference with or without them other than ontrack.
I used the carbotechs for the first time this weekend at NJMP. So i dont have much experience with them yet. I did have to be care full in the rain with my all season tires or the ABS would kick in. I bought the pads to go along with my Koni challenge tires. I would imagine in the dry & hard braking it could overpower most tires.

Skim Diesel

Go Kart Champion
I only put the dust shields back on at the end of the season / winter. I haven't noticed any difference with or without them other than ontrack.
I used the carbotechs for the first time this weekend at NJMP. So i dont have much experience with them yet. I did have to be care full in the rain with my all season tires or the ABS would kick in. I bought the pads to go along with my Koni challenge tires. I would imagine in the dry & hard braking it could overpower most tires.

This is great info, thanks. So, the HP+ would be fine for Pocono, so long as the shields are off? You didn't have any fade problems - fluid or pad?

If so, I'll just run what I have, since I'm a novice anyways.

Also, do I need to take off the caliper/carrier/rotors to remove the shields? that would be such a pain...

ETADRAFT

Wannabe Racer
Car(s)
08 GTI
yes i think you should be good with the HP+. make sure you have fresh fluid in & on hand just in case. I was in novice when i was there and i didnt have any major fade issues. They did go away a little by the end of the session but it was manageable.
And yes you will have to remove everything to get the shields off. There are 3 torx screws behind each rotor. The rears you will have to make a small cut on the shield to remove them. I think i saw a DIY for this somewhere on these forums. hope this helps

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
I've never had a problem with the xp10's overpowering street tires, they don't have enough initial bite to do so. The xp12's can and will overpower street tires if you're not careful.

johnny love

don't be an asshat.
Anybody running with PDA on this weekend? I called them up and they said, Friday's run will be have 6 sessions of 30 mins each, utilizing all 3 courses... sounds like a damn good deal for $275.

that is a good deal. i'd consider it except my band has a gig the 18th.

water/dust shields: i leave them off year-round. just realise that you'll need a little extra distance/brake pedal force when braking in the rain. not a big deal.

Skim Diesel

Go Kart Champion
that is a good deal. i'd consider it except my band has a gig the 18th.

water/dust shields: i leave them off year-round. just realise that you'll need a little extra distance/brake pedal force when braking in the rain. not a big deal.

Ahh...I didn't even think about the water aspect. It makes sense that it would keep the back side of the rotors from getting too wet in the rain... I couldn't care less about brake dust.

Thanks for that info Johnny!:thumbsup:

Skim Diesel

Go Kart Champion
I've never had a problem with the xp10's overpowering street tires, they don't have enough initial bite to do so. The xp12's can and will overpower street tires if you're not careful.

Good to know. These will be my next upgrade no doubt. I won't mess w/ R-tires until at least my 3rd Track day...LOL! j/k.